Unable to open Scrivener on Macbook Pro

I’m trying to open Scrivener (purchased in 2017) on my Macbook Pro (ios12 i think) and it says that it doesn’t support it anymore. I was able to use Scrivener this year so not sure what has happened.

Does anyone know how i can get it to open, otherwise I’ve lost all my writing :sob:

I don’t know how to get Scrivener to run, (Windows user), but I can assure you that you lost none of your writing.
The projects are stored as completely separated folders.
While waiting for help, I strongly recommend that you locate them and do a backup.
Copying them to a thumbdrive (the whole folder, not just the .scrivx file) would already be 100x better than no backup at all.

2 Likes

Thank you, that’s good to hear
I’ve found the files on the laptop but yeah unfortunately can’t open them as scrivener won’t open :pensive:

Right-click on the Scrivener App itself (likely inside the Applications folder) and select Get Info from the popup menu. If your Scrivener version is lower than 3.x.x, you’ll need to buy an upgrade, as Scrivener 2.x.x or lower absolutely won’t run under MacOS 12. The good news here is that if you bought after August 20 2017 the upgrade is free; if you bought before then, you’ll get a 45% discount ($27 USD). You’ll need to convert your projects to the newer Scrivener 3 format, but the conversion process will automatically make a backup of your old version projects.

If on the other hand you have Scrivener 3.x.x, you can upgrade to the latest version, 3.2.3 for free. Just download and install it.

2 Likes

Thanks for the info. Looks like I’ll be buying an upgrade. I got my version back in April 2017.

2 Likes

Glad to hear you’ve resolved the problem.

When you get a chance, I’d recommend taking a look at our upgrade guide for Scrivener 2 users, as Scrivener 3 has some very significant changes. You can find it here: