Understanding <$hn_levelN> placeholder, is it working right?

Hello

I am tying to make sense of the <$hn_levelN> placeholder.
I would like to use it to set the top level of folder as parts, and get an outline where the hierarchical numbering flows through whole but “ignoring” those parts.

But, trying with the $hn_level1, I got strange results, so I applied it to the Novel with parts template, but still strange results, as you can see in the image.

I’ve being reading quite a lot of threads around here about those placeholders but still don’t ge it.
Any help to understand what is happening?

Thank you!

I think maybe the issue is that you are applying the “hn” placeholder to everything, including parts? It is true the output gets a little weird if you use the leveln format on levels that precede the indicated level of depth.

Have you tried using <$R> or something else on those part level types?

In that example I was not using hn on all of them. I did at first and it was the same.
I was using <$n:part> on the parts, and <$hn_level1> on the rest, be chapters or scenes.

I tried using <$R> and the result is the same. I tried not putting nothing at all in the parts, and same.

I feels like a kind of bug… or that I am doing something wrong.

Thanks!

Or maybe is a better way to do this, and this is not the right one.

Would it be possible to zip up a copy of this test project you are using, and attach it here to a response? I am getting a completely different result, using what seems to be the same setup, so there is some detail I am missing.

Sure, there it goes:
NovelPartsOutlineTest.scriv.zip (318.6 KB)

Anyway, is just the (Novel with parts) with that placeholder added to everything except the parts.

thanks!

1 Like

Okay, thanks! I am seeing the problem now and will get the issues with it written up.

Ok, thank you!

So, we could say there is a kind of bug or so?

Yes, it looks like bugs to me. I can’t myself understand what the point of the placeholder is in its current state, otherwise.

1 Like