Undoing a rollback to a snapshot?

I did search the forum before posting, so please forgive me if this has already been addressed. I believe something frustrating may have happened to me a couple of months ago (nothing major, and I’ve since salvaged my work).

I took a snapshot of a chapter I was working on, and then edited the chapter. Somehow or other, when I next opened the project, my edits were gone and I was back to the earlier version. I think it’s possible that I clicked on “roll back” by mistake, so that my revisions got replaced by the earlier, unedited version. I closed Scrivener before noticing I’d done this, so I was (temporarily) sunk. :frowning:

I’m assuming that, if I do this again, I will be able to undo a rollback? That’s my question, really. I’ve taken a few snapshots of chapters and sections of my novel, but have always decided (so far) that the edits are an improvement. I do like the snapshot feature; it makes me feel more confident knowing that I can always go back if I don’t like the changes I’ve made - but I guess that’s my question. Can you always go back? If you roll back and then decide you want to revert to your edited version (the one you rolled back from), is there an undo? Or should I do it this way:
Take snapshot of text you wish to edit.
Edit text.
Take snapshot of edited text.
Roll back -
etc.

I hope this is clear! BTW, please don’t tell me to work through the tutorials. I did begin to do so, and have also watched several of the videos. But, for one thing, people learn in different ways. It’s easier for me to learn a program by actually using it on something real, and I tend to be (1)slow, (2) sequential, and (3) hands-on when it comes to programs. So, for example, I have no idea, yet, what the “compile draft” command does because I haven’t yet been at the stage where I have a draft worthy of compiling.

I do love Scrivener, though. Really!

The way snapshots are recorded is very simple. When you take a snapshot, the current text content is saved into the snapshot list. That’s all that happens. The rollback feature, as you’ve surmised, lets you select any particular point in the editing time-line and replace the current document text with it. It doesn’t remove that snapshot, but it will destroy any edits that are not already stored in snapshots. Because of this, Scrivener emits a warning dialogue box when you press the rollback button, and it gives you the opportunity to take three actions:

1. Cancel the operation entirely. Nothing happens in this case.
  2. Click the “Yes” button to create a new snapshot of the current text, and then roll back. This way you have your undo. You can just select the newer snapshot later and “rollback” to it, going through this process again.
  3. Click “No” to just rollback and take no snapshots. If you do that, your current work will be lost.

So in most cases it’s best to click the “Yes” button unless you are absolutely sure you don’t like the current revision (or it just came from an older snapshot and nothing has changed).

Thus an undo mechanism does exist in principle, so long as you choose the “Yes” option. It’s not like “Cmd-Z” undo though, which is actually a good thing because those types of undo disappear after a session and a list of snapshots remains available months, years later. It’s basically what you already proposed, but more automatic. It’s also better than a linear undo because you can jump around between snapshots if need be.

If you do take your own snapshots manually before rolling back, then clicking “No” would be best to avoid duplication—but you might as well just use the “Yes” button.

So it is possible you clicked rollback and neglected to notice the warning, clicked “No” and lost your most current revision.

Thanks! That is very helpful. It’s likely I missed the menu you spoke about and clicked “no” instead of "yes - I’ll watch out for that in future.