Unexpected revert lost an hour's work. What happened?

You’re not the one who had problems.
Every user isn’t like you.

There are seldom technological solutions to behavioral problems.

“User has a habit to do X; X causes issues with software” is the pattern here, just as with Dropbox sync issues or any other cases where you have cheerfully explained to users they need to change their habits.

I know! But there’s a reason I am so anal about good habits like closing Scrivener, early and often. They’re not users like me because they don’t have those habits.

1 Like

I certainly try. I try too hard, I suppose. I should ignore the problem, since it isn’t my problem.

1 Like

I think people forget they are “just computers” … and expect miracles all the time. Most of the time the computers we use do miraculous and seemingly magical things. Some people see through that and @drmajorbob is one of those! Thanks!

1 Like

I’m with you on this one. I have a list of apps that I close each time before walking away, and Scrivener is one (anything that involves a cloud sync). Short of something like the grandkids throwing knives at each other, can’t imagine a scenario where 10-15 seconds overcomes prudent computer habits.

2 Likes

I close everything but Chrome, TextExpander, Dictionary, KeyboardMaestro, etc. (apps that respond to keystrokes).

1 Like

If you routinely find that you need to close your laptop without giving Scrivener a chance to autosave, it would probably be good practice to at least order a manual save before doing so. Even better would be to launch a manual backup (although you’d want to allow time for it to finish).

Unlike a true shutdown, closing (sleeping) a laptop “freezes” the current system state. Saves don’t happen, backups don’t run, uploads to cloud services don’t take place. Even if you have Scrivener’s auto-close option enabled (which I recommend), it can’t run while the computer is asleep. Which means that any unsaved data exists only in the computer’s memory, and can easily be obliterated by any number of events.

Whether to take that risk is up to you. Just understand that it is a risk, and – because the laptop is asleep – there’s nothing Scrivener can do to protect you from it.

2 Likes

Time Machine runs when the laptop is closed, fortunately – but that’s a Mac thing.

And in my case, at least, not really applicable. My Time Machine volume is an external drive that sits on my desk. It doesn’t travel with me and my laptop.

2 Likes

Nor does mine. I’m only saying the machine doesn’t go entirely asleep. If it’s sitting on my desk, it still does a backup every hour.

I can carry an SSD with me if I feel like it, too.

1 Like

I’m distressingly literal-minded when typing in a flat, monospace font and a boring rectangle!

3 Likes

Is it though? I mean, I’m pausing 10 seconds while I compose this reply. If my computer crashed before I hit the reply button, I’d lose maybe the last 10 words or so. Even if I’m not in the habit of closing Scrivener before closing my laptop, the vast majority of my writing is already saved to disk at any given moment. I can see a person rapidly writing non-stop maybe 10 to 20 minutes without pause, but multiple hours without pausing for 10 seconds seems like quite a stretch to me.

1 Like