Unicode text in Scriv.

I’m having a problem with some unicode Hebrew text in a note in Scriv. I realise Scriv. uses the Apple text engine, so it’s not your problem, KB, but maybe someone can help.

As you can see in this grab, the Hebrew text, though it’s only 18pt and takes up as much vertical space as the Roman text, has caused a gap to appear between it and the line above. It looks like a carriage return, with paragraph spacing widened, but it’s not, as you can see from the highlighting.

Any ideas on why this happens and/or how to fix it? Thanks.

It must be the way that Hebrew font is designed, allocating that much space above the character. I don’t know a lot about Hebrew script … can you get combinations of diacritics or glyphs above the main line of text? If so that space may be there to allow for that without the lines running into one another. Or perhaps it’s designed to keep a full page of text looking open and not too dense.

There is a similar sort of issue with Chinese characters. I think in that case, the reason is that each character, no matter how complex, is drawn within an identical “box”, the extra vertical space is provided to prevent a paragraph becoming so dense as to be a strain to read. To my eye, however, the font designers often put more space than I would. And it always makes things look terrible when one has Chinese characters within a basically roman font text.

I don’t know that you will be able to do anything about it. The people who might be able to advise best are the excellent people at Nisus, since NWE/NWP is based on Apple’s text engine, and there are numerous people there who are Hebrew speakers/writers. Mellel uses its own text engine, so the Redlers may not be able to advise so well.

HTH :slight_smile:

Mark

Yup looks like the character leading is different.

Or you have the Hebrew font “double Spaced”.

Maybe try using a different Hebrew Font?