Unified license?

Hi. I have come across Scrivener a while ago, and I played a bit with the demo. Let me say first of all that it’s a hell of an application! It just seems… great!

I intend to purchase it, but I use both Mac (laptop) and Windows (desktop). I think this may be a common setup, so I am wondering if there’s any possibility of purchasing a “unified license” that would allow installation on both Mac and Win (I assume they would be fully inter-operable, i.e. files from Mac would work on the Win version - correct me if I’m wrong).
From what I can see on the “Buy Scrivener” page, there are only individual licenses for each OS.

If there is no plan for a unified license, I will probably just buy the Mac one, because my laptop is where I do most of my writing, but it would be nice to have a unified license that wouldn’t cost as much as two different licenses. Or a discount “bundle” of one Mac and one Win license (volume discounts also seem to apply only to bundles of same-OS licenses).

Cheers, and keep up the good work!

There isn’t a unified licence unfortunately, as the development is done by two different entities, each requiring their own funding to continue. Here is the longer answer:

scrivener.tenderapp.com/help/kb/ … ac-version

The format is indeed cross-platform compatible. Here are the details on that:

scrivener.tenderapp.com/help/kb/ … patibility

You can of course just make your own unified license by making two simple purchases of $45 (US) and $40 (US).

If that is too complicated, I"m happy for you to transfer a single payment of $100 (US) to my bank account and once that’s cleared I’ll email you the registration codes for both platforms.

Bargain.

While I was trying to think of an adequate rebuke for Mr Pig, I started to wonder what other non-browser based application has a unified license model. I can’t think of a single one. While I understand the desire for a unified license, I do not see this license model as accepted within the development industry.

Let’s be honest, people are only after a multi-buy discount.

Shame on them. Lee doesn’t get enough to eat as it is :smiley:

Blizzard. They’ve been cross-platform single-purchase as long as I can recall. I remember buying one single Starcraft CD back in the day and being able to use it even after I switched to Mac.

But, that’s Blizzard. They sell more copies of Diablo every second than all writing software combined. :slight_smile:

Sticking with the ‘huge software companies’ examples…

Microsoft’s Home User Program does something a little bit like this. As an employee of a large company, I can get a second licence for Office for my home use for a “token” payment of about $15. This can be for a different OS than my work license. I am only allowed to use the software on home machines for as long as my work licence is also valid. Ie, my home licence ends if I leave the company.

But, that’s Microsoft. Again, huge company, massive sales, and it’s probably treated as part of the massive multi-buy discount that large corporations get.

In microsoft’s case you need to make a token payment for each platform AND computer. In my case that would be 3 mac and 2 windows “token payments”. Which goes back to my point, no unified license.

BAH!!!

Do games really count though?

:stuck_out_tongue:

I did say it was only a little bit like a unified license (If we assume a unified licence is just a fancy way of saying multi-buy discount)

Anyway - 3 mac and 2 windows. Blimey.

I officially own no computers :frowning:
In the world of computer ownership you are infinitely better than me.

that’s what left after a significant pairing down (I did leave of a handfull of Linux and embedded systems, but they aren’t really “user” systems…) I think the maximum total systems in the house was 33. Happens when you have a lab in your living room. Not recommended for the non-tech-head.

Postbox - postbox-inc.com/
Steamworks Games
Games from HumbleBundle.com

I’ve recently started using the Scrivener demo on my Mac laptop as well as my Windows desktop. I’d love to be able to use it on both, but that would be out of reach of my budget. In the past I’ve used Save the Cat!, which also has a useful corkboard function, and is compatible with both Mac and PC, so I only needed to buy one version of the software. Save the Cat! is a useful tool if you want to write screenplays, but less so for prose, and far less so, I guess, for poetry and non-fiction. It’s an example of not-entirely-dissimilar software that crosses both platforms, though.

I suppose I would have carried on using Save the Cat!, but it’s too late now - Scrivener is just so much more comfortable, it’s sucked me in!

We could offer a unified licence for $85. :slight_smile:

Seriously, though, the Windows and Mac versions are completely separate development efforts, so we just can’t offer a unified licence without doubling the price. There aren’t many unified licences these days. Save the Cat is developed using a single programming platform which can then distribute to different OSes, but that wouldn’t be suitable for Scrivener. Scrivener is designed to run native on Windows and Mac, taking advantage of the latest technologies on both, which isn’t possible using unified programming platforms.

Even software for which you pay much more requires separate licences for different platforms - Adobe Photoshop, MS Word etc.

Thanks for using Scrivener!

All the best,
Keith

I have to mention that after reading about Scrivener, watching the videos, and thinking about how I would use it, and especially after pricing most of its competitors, I was really delighted that the price is so low. I’ve recommended it to several other writers, and they’re also quite surprised and pleased that Scrivener isn’t a luxury. We all have our limits on what software is worth, but for the vital purposes Scrivener fulfills, and its ongoing development and support, I honestly can’t imagine paying any less.

The demo deal is also exemplary. I don’t know how many demos I’ve downloaded, tried for a day or two, and then couldn’t get back to them for weeks or months — only to find the demo had expired and I would have to jump through hoops to get another one started. I just can’t schedule my exploratory time that well. Scrivener’s demo setup was (perhaps surprisingly) a significant reason at least two of my friends decided to give it a serious try: they, too, had wasted time on demos that expired on calendar time instead of use-time. This demo policy is both generous and wise.

While I am glad I don’t have to buy two copies for two incompatible platforms, it’s really a very small price to pay for such high quality software from such a high quality organization. I hope Shadebreeze is able to find some source of additional income to obtain this great tool for both systems.

Allen

Thanks for the kind words, Allen, much appreciated, and I’m glad you like the way the trial works. I have found the same thing all too often - I’ve fired up an app to see what it’s like, then had no time to really test it, only to come back a few weeks later to find that the trial is over. And I much prefer time-limited trials with full functionality to trials that don’t allow you to test certain functions.

Thanks again and all the best,
Keith

we should sometimes think of software like Photoshop or, closer to home, Final Draft. Then … thank our lucky stars for the price of scrivener … and the amazing support we get here on the forum.
Forty five bucks for software like this? Which I can run on any of my three Macs? Don’t pinch me!