Unreadable Menus

I went to use Scrivener and this is what I’m faced with today. I have tried rebooting, reinstalling and rebooting again, and threatening it with reprogramming. My Google-Fu is failing me. Please help.

Perhaps… ?
Although, on a second look, you seem to have English mixed up with some other language. (Perhaps not even a real one.)

I’d check Windows’ language settings.

If you haven’t tried rebooting your computer, maybe do that.

Thank you! It didn’t work. I used your screenshot to find the settings in Scrivener. It’s set to English. I also changed my Windows language from Recommended to English (United States). I rebooted both times. No luck.

Things to note:

1. This happened after I had trouble opening Scrivener. I clicked the .exe twice.
  2. After it opened, it asked me to update, but I couldn’t read it because it was garbled as in the screenshot in the original post.
  3. I rebooted. No luck.
  4. I uninstalled with an uninstaller and cleaner. Reinstalled. No luck.
  5. Rebooted. Nope.
  6. Went into Options > Language and made sure it was set to English. Apply. Nope.
  7. Went into Windows Language Settings and made sure that was set to English (United States) instead of the recommended option.
  8. Closed program and reboot. Nope.

At this point I would say that if you have an antivirus installed you should run a complete scan.
If you don’t have one, get one. (AVG is free and works fine.)

How are other apps behaving ?

I have Kaspersky Premium after an attack a few weeks ago. I just don’t understand why it would only screw up now. I just did a quick scan. Ran a full scan last night. Neither showed anything. Other apps are working fine, except Chrome keeps messing up—if I leave it up too long, it won’t load new tabs until I restart the browser; if I leave it up too long, it sucks down RAM like like someone dying of thirst sucks down tea.

ETA: Something to note: I just installed default windows fonts because I accidentally deleted them. Going to troubleshoot that angle, too.

ETA: Something to note: I just installed default windows fonts because I accidentally deleted them. Going to troubleshoot that angle, too.

I was going to ask if you had any variants of the Segoe UI fonts installed for your Windows account in %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Fonts in addition to the system location at C:\Windows\Fonts, as that mix of the fonts in both locations seems to be tied to the problem (though it might be more about registry paths from multiple installs than the actual installations). Some other users who have seen this were able to fix it by removing the local installation. So you might check on where those default fonts were installed to and if there are multiple copies or multiple locations involved.

I am surprised though that you were able to accidentally delete them. My recollection is that system fonts like that aren’t easy to remove and require some work in the registry. I could easily be misremembering the specifics, or it may have changed in later Windows versions, but I guess that’s something else to check—perhaps they weren’t cleanly deleted, which could also result in a mixed up registry after reinstalling.

2 Likes

I was going to ask if you had any variants of the Segoe UI fonts installed for your Windows account in %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Fonts in addition to the system location at C:\Windows\Fonts , as that mix of the fonts in both locations seems to be tied to the problem (though it might be more about registry paths from multiple installs than the actual installations).

This was it. I deleted all the registry items, deleted every font possible. Then rebooted and installed through Settings > Personalization > Fonts. Everything works again. Thank you!

2 Likes