Unsupported file format when I try to open on iOS

Hi,

I’m having an issue with an old project file that I hadn’t used in a long while. It’s not a huge deal, as there’s very little in it, but I thought it might prove to be helpful to know for bug squashing. Anyway, the problem is this: I was able to sync my projects just fine via Dropbox. One of them, the one I’ve not touched in in a long while, won’t open. It gives me the following error:

Sounds simple enough. The problem is, I’ve done that. I opened it up in the latest version of Scrivener, it said it needed to be updated, I said okay, it updated. I saved and let Dropbox sync things up. Resynced the project on my phone, tried to open it, and got the same error message. I’ve also tried Saving As on my computer with a different project name, and run into the exact same problem.

Let me know if you have any ideas or if you want to take a look at the files. (The writing is super bad, fair warning. :wink: )

You have to edit the file before saving. Any kind of minor editing. Then save it and everything will be okay.

That did the trick, thanks very much!

Hi - I just purchased the iOS app. And am trying to get a file that was created (recently) on my Mac (v. 2.8.1) to open on iOS. No dice. Same issue as the original poster. Editing on the Mac then re-syncing to DB doesn’t do the trick for me.

Do I need to pay even more to get Scrivener 3 on my Mac to be able to sync?

You don’t need Scrivener 3 for syncing; 2.8.1 should work. There’s some L&L troubleshooting advice and instruction available here:
scrivener.tenderapp.com/help/kb … os-syncing
scrivener.tenderapp.com/help/kb … g-with-ios