Updated to version 2.7.1 and can't open my books

When I try to open my books, I get the error “Update Project - the project you are trying to load uses an older format and cannot be opened. Would you like to update it? A copy of the old project will be saved in the same directory.” When I update it, None of my work is there. Have I lost all my work? How do I fix this so I don’t lose everything?

I originally created the files on the Windows version of Scrivener. I switched to a Mac last April and started using Scrivener for Mac then. I haven’t had a problem with it until I updated my software this morning. I have also upgraded to El Captain.

Thank you

Sorry to hear you ran into issues with the updater. It would probably easiest to write in to our tech support address so you can get personal help, as examining the projects in question may be the best way to figure out what is going on and whether there is something that needs to be fixed with Scrivener.

I wouldn’t worry about the data though. As mentioned in the alert window, a backup is created in the same directory when you attempt to update a project. That is specifically so you can try again if something goes wrong with the update attempt (like in this case).