Updating NaNoWriMo Wordcount

I don’t know if anyone else has this issue, but this is something I ran into.

I downloaded the new NaNoWriMo template that includes the ability to update your wordcount from Scrivner. Whenever I use it however, it says that my wordcount is zero. It doesn’t matter if I use a daily target or a regular text piece, none of them are getting logged. Is this a known issue?

Have you recently compiled a section of your project to see how it looks? If so, that may be affecting the word count you’re seeing. We had a discussion about how Compile affects the NaNo word count earlier on the Mac thread, and Keith offered tips on correcting the NaNo word count.

If you have not compiled your project, then I suggest checking that the documents you’ve added to your NaNo project are all marked as “Include in Compile” within the Metadata tab in the Inspector Pane. (The Inspector Pane can be toggled to be viewed or hidden by clicking the blue circled “i” icon on the right-hand side of the Scrivener toolbar. Within the Inspector Pane, the Metadata tab is the middle of the five options and resembles a luggage tag.)

If they are marked and you’re still not seeing the word count show the correct information, please let me know.

By the way, welcome to the forum and best of luck with NaNoWriMo!

I checked the metadata and sure enough, they are all checked to compile. I have no compiled the document itself, I always wait until the end to do that.

Still having the same problem. Tried to update (I’m at 5600, a little behind I know) and it asked me if I wanted to update from that to 0.

:frowning: thought you should know

In your original message, you stated that this zero word count error occurs whether you use the “Daily Target” template to create a new document or if you just use the green plus mark to create your document. Is that correct?

If you click the chevron to the left of the word “Manuscript” in your Scrivener Binder, it should hide all of the documents in your project. Are your documents hidden when you do that?

If they are still visible when you collapse the contents of the Manuscript folder, then they are not subdocuments of the Manuscript folder. And, that would explain why they aren’t be included in your project’s word count.

You can drag and drop to move them into the folder, or use the Edit > Move > commands. Once they are housed within the Manuscript folder, then they should be counted in your project’s totals.

If that still doesn’t correct the issue, please let me know. I’ll gladly continue reviewing settings until we get this squared away for you.

I did all of that and it still counted as zero.

I went to double check today but the update wordcount under projects is gone. Did it get taken out in an update?

It probably did. Add the text NaNo=“Yes” to your the ScrivenerProject-line in your .scrvx file. (Back it up to be save) and set the Project > Project Targets right when you’re not using the official NaNoWriMo-project template. Klik Options… set your Deadline to 30 November at the Draft Target tab. Enter your writing days and tick Automatically calculate from draft deadline and Reset the session count each day at 00:00 (which is the default, I think) at the Session Target tab. Make sure you don’t have shady characters in your nanowrimo.org password and select Project > Update NaNoWriMo Word Count. Log in to update your Word Count.
Njoy!