Updating point size in Show Fonts size box

As far as I can tell, my options for changing point size in the Show Fonts window are either to choose from the Size list, or use the slider on its right.

What I’m used to being able to do is to type in a new value in the Size box above the sizes list, and have that be the new point size - but when I try this in Scrivener, the Show Fonts window closes without changing the point size.

Scrivener just uses the system fonts box - it doesn’t do anything with it at all. You can certainly type a new value in the size box - I do it all the time - so I’m not sure what is happening here.
Best,
Keith

I’m puzzled too - there’s no way I can get the box to take a typed figure that will update the Scrivener preferences. Oh well, if it’s just me then maybe my prefs are corrupted or something.

Oh, in the Preferences! Right, yes, you’re right, it doesn’t work there now that I think about it, but it does everywhere else. This is a bug in OS X I found a while ago. Basically, there are two types of window in OS X - panels and regular windows. Preference panes are usually panels (panels disappear when the app isn’t focussed). Anyway, it turns out that the size box in the font panel has a bug whereby it won’t work with panels, only windows. It’s a strange bug in OS X that doesn’t crop up much. I’ve found a workaround for version 2.0 (i.e. I’ve made the preferences pane a regular window).

Best,
Keith

Okay, great - glad I wasn’t imagining things :slight_smile:.

By the way, you can kind of get around this by clicking on the “gear menu” in the font palette and choosing “Edit Sizes”. This will not only let you adjust the limits of the slider, but supply your own built-in font sizes that appear in the selectable list. I’m pretty sure this is a system-wide thing, too.

That’s a very handy tip - I’m always wanting 15-point and having to go round the houses to get it.