Updating Scrivener to 64-bits app

After updating my Macbook Air to MacOS Catalina 10.15.2, my Scrivener app is not working anymore. It suggests that I have to update my Scrinever app from 32-bits to 64-bits.
Does anyone know how I can arrange that without losing my written books in Scrivener?
I will be VERY VERY grateful to the person who can help me out :smiley:

It sounds as though your are using Scrivener 2. macOS Catalina ended support for 31-bit apps such as Scrivener 2, which means it’s not compatible with Catalina and won’t work. Your best bet is to upgrade to Scrivener 3 (released in November 2017), which is fully compatible with Catalina.

Thank you!
And when I download Scrivener 3, how can I keep my books at Scrivener 2. Can I import them at some way?

You can’t keep them at the version 2 format. Scrivener 3 will recognize the version 2 format, make a backup copy, and then convert to version 3’s format.

Note that your projects are not “in” Scrivener. They’re separate from the program itself, so be sure you know where your projects are saved, so you can locate them when you install Scrivener 3.

You would just open them directly, like you would in v2. The software will inform you that the project format needs to be updated. Read the instructions provided there to know what to expect regarding backups.

There is of course more information in the v3 user manual, under §5.1.6, Project Format Upgrades, pg. 65.

I’m not clear on what you mean by this, but if you want to keep a set of them at version 2, just move the backup copies it creates to a new folder and set them aside. If the idea is that you would want to keep using v2 on another machine, check to make sure that is necessary first. Version 3 works back to 10.12.

I’d recommend having a look at our upgrade guide for Scrivener 2 users, here:
literatureandlatte.com/scri … date-guide

It explains the format conversion and the big changes to the Compile command, among other things.

Katherine

Does this mean I need to pay the £50 for the new app!?

If you are a registered user of Scrivener 2, you’re entitled to a discount for the Scrivener 3 upgrade. More information here: literatureandlatte.com/intr … crivener-3

Katherine