Updating to a new version after buying new computer

Hello there. I just downloaded version 2.5 as my computer -Mac OS, mid 2010s- is a bit old. I’M SORRY IF THIS HAS BEEN DISCUSSED ALREADY. But let’s say I buy a new computer in two months, long past my first 30 complimentary days. I don’t know if I should buy the license before this and then will I be able to update my version, or should I wait to do this. What do you suggest?

We are not able to issue new licenses for Scrivener 2.

Scrivener 3 will work on any Mac that supports Mac OS 10.12 or newer, so probably late 2009 or newer hardware.

OK, so what you’re saying is that I should not buy this license, but to wait…

If you intend to use Scrivener 3, it doesn’t matter when you buy it. You can install it on the old machine, later install it on the new one, or install it on both with the same license.

1 Like

What I’m saying is that you can’t buy a Scrivener 2 license, because we can’t sell you one.

As noted, a Scrivener 3 license will work on either (or both) system, no matter when you buy it.

FWIW, I would recommend using Scrivener 3 for your trial if at all possible. The differences between Scrivener 2.5 and Scrivener 3 are quite substantial.

1 Like

Yeah, but my OS can’t support Scrivener 3. As I said, my computer is a bit old. I’ll have to wait to purchase a new one. So this means my Scrivener 2.5 will also stop working after 30 days of use?
Thank you for your patience.

If you own Scrivener 2, you’ll always own it. Install it on all your computers.

1 Like

What version of Mac OS do you have, and exactly how old is your computer? Mid-2010s shouldn’t be a problem for Scrivener 3.