Upgrading Scrivener from v2 to 3. I'm scared!

Hi everyone, first time posting here. Is it easy peazy to integrate into 3? Im using mac os and ios. How do i go about doing this? for some reason, I fear I’ll lose everything and die. If someone can explain it like you’re teaching a 2nd grader that would be fantastic!
Thank you

LitLat has some stuff on transitioning from 2 to 3. You should check that out.

You can keep your 2 around for security.

When you open existing projects for the first time in 3, it will make a safety copy of that project before it does anything else. So, you will have vers2 safeties of all your stuff. (It will also update the format of your projects to vers3, but only after making those safety copies.)

I don’t know what resources you typically use in Scriv, but in all probability your day-to-day operations with Scriv will not be terribly different after upgrading.

I think the biggest change is the way compiling works. But if you are not on deadline, you can learn what you need about that as you go along and on your own time. LitLat has some helpful videos on the new Compiler.

The second biggest addition is a genuine styles system (not just format presets) — but most of your text does not want styles, so this also doesn’t intrude much in your day to day operations.

I think it was a great upgrade, and it has worked for me reliably since it came out.

I say go for it!

1 Like

Thank you! Does that mean that v.3 and v.2 can exist on the same hard drive? Like, v.2 can have projects in it that v. 3 does not?

Scrivener 2 and Scrivener 3 can co-exist provided that your version of Mac OS supports both.

Projects are not “in” Scrivener. They are stored on your computer in the location you specified when you created them. You can use Finder to browse to that location and open with whatever version you want. Just be aware that Scrivener 2 can’t open Scrivener 3 projects, and Scrivener 3 will automatically convert a Scrivener 2 project.

If you haven’t already, I’d recommend taking a look at our upgrade guide for Scrivener 2 users. You can find it here:

1 Like

Thank you! Just what i needed to know.