Upgrading to Windows 10

Hi - I am soon upgrading to Windows 10. I have Scrivener installed on both Windows 7 and 8.1 machines. I am wondering if I need to do anything, download an scrivener update? Or will it just continue unaffected?

Does anyone know?

Many thanks, Sam

Hi Sam

This thread might help…


Just upgraded from 8.1 to 10. I didn’t have to do anything else and no issues with Scrivener.

I just upgraded to Windows 10 from 8.1. I’m having problems saving my files. This is the error message that I get.

Any suggestions on what I need to do?

Oops, my image isn’t showing. I attached the file here.

I had the same problem. It’s caused by Microsoft being stupid.

Genuinely… for some reason, at some point after the upgrade (not immediately), Windows 10 decided to remove my authority to save any documents in my own Documents (or Pictures or Videos) folder. Why? Who knows – it might be because I’d clicked on the button to use my office ID as a login to windows rather than a local account.

Anyway, I posted the below afterwards – hope it and the link helps.

[i]I had what might (or might not…) be a similar problem.

Basically, my folders suddenly had their permissions screwed up so that I no longer owned the files.

The solution was to right click on the Documents folder, go to the security tab and see what the permissions were. In my case, for some reason, the folder and contents were now read-only. In the end, I had to go to the advanced tab and explicitly add my log-in to the list of owners, then make sure that all the boxes were ticked in the permissions dialogue. I had to do this a couple of times (and repeat it for Pictures and other folders) but eventually it stuck.

Apologies for the lack of precision in the answer – I’m on the Mac at the moment so can’t walk through the steps exactly – but once you go to the security tab, it’s reasonably obvious. This link should give you the basic idea. tenforums.com/general-discus … thing.html[/i]

Never mind. I found the problem. I knew it had to be in the permissions somewhere, and it was. Just not the ones I was originally looking at.

Thanks! That’s what I had to do too. I was right clicking on Scrivener, going to Properties, and changing the permissions there. It took a while for me to figure out to do what you did in the Documents folder rather than the program itself. All’s good now, and it’s back to saving as it should.

Good news…