Urgent, Scrivener saying file is incompatible

I was just using the project yesterday and when I logged on today, Scrivener is now saying the file is incompatible with the version of scrivener I have been using. No changes to file extension or the file or the software has been made. Suggestions.

Step 1: Take a deep breath.
Step 2: copy the entire project file, rename it, and put it somewhere safe.
Step 3: In the real project file (not the backup) navigate to the “Files” directory.
Step 4: Open the “version.txt” file with something like notepad, vim, emacs, or pico. (Plain old text editor.)
Step 5: Make sure there’s a 16 in it.
Step 6: Save and close.

Thank you, I managed to upload a restored point and copy and paste the other files that weren’t in the restored copy. Thank you for your kindness.

Thank you so much for asking this question and for providing an answer. Just had this happen to me and was on the verge of a freak out. Followed your instructions and everything is fine. :slight_smile:

Yay! :smiley:

None of what was suggested as a fix here worked for me. First and foremost, I cannot even locate the original file. I found an earlier version (missing 2000 words) and made a backup of that one. But every time I open the program now (and this was how the problem began) it only shows the “draft” file that came with the software in the binder. I have to go locate my recently save copy of the older version and bring that in to Scrivener. In the software, though, my MS is nowhere to be found. Any ideas anyone?

On another note - just venting, or maybe its whining - this software is about as clunky a piece of writing software as I’ve ever seen. There is little about it I’d characterize as intuitive. Or is it just me? I’m no geek, but I’ve been using some kind of writing software nearly every day since the advent of the personal computer. No, actually, since main frames, and Scrivener is difficult IMHO.

Anyway, sorry for the rant. I hope someone can help or its back to Word for me.

THANK YOU SO MUCH Garpu!! I was literally having a PANIC ATTACK when my computer was shut down by accident WHILE I WAS WRITING. I could not get it to open–even though I tried a few other suggestions here on here. But you suggestion was easy and clear and more importantly it WORKED!!! I have my story back, which is due to my editor any day now! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!