URL encoding glitch when compiling and navigating

Using Scrivener 2.5 I save the following URL for a link: postcog.ucd.ie/files/Bailey%20et … s,2000.pdf
but when I compile to RTF or attempt to navigate the link from Scrivener I get the invalid URL:
postcog.ucd.ie/files/Bailey%2520 … s,2000.pdf .

How can I surpress this unwanted encoding behavior?

Have you updated to the latest version of Scrivener yet? There was an issue with double-encoding in 2.4.1, but that should be resolved now in 2.5.

Am definitely at release level 2.5.

Could you explain which process you are using to create the link? I copied the text of the link from my browser, which was properly encoded, then selected some text in Scrivener, used Edit/Add Link... and pasted this into the field with no protocol prefix (since it was already a full URL). The link works correctly, and when right-clicking and editing it, there is no double-encoding.

I had edited the link trying different combinations to get it to work, none of which succeeded. However, after I recreated the text and link from scratch using the full URL and no prefix option, the link now navigates properly from both Scrivener and the compiled RTF. It seems residuals from my previous edits were somehow screwing up the encoding.

Interestingly, after I open the link in my browsers the URL no longer displays the http:// prefix. I wonder if there is some sort of strange redirect going on, to FTP or some such.

Anyhow, thanks much for your help!

No prefix is the best one to use if you have an fully formed URL from your browser (or wherever) that you just want to paste in. It does no processing and assumes you know what you are doing with encoding and whatnot.

Interestingly, after I open the link in my browsers the URL no longer displays the http:// prefix. I wonder if there is some sort of strange redirect going on, to FTP or some such.

It is strange that anything here would have made a difference with that. Some browsers have stopped displaying the protocol string in an attempt to make URLs easier to look at, that’s all I can think of—but this is purely a visual thing. It still has to establish a proper connection to the other computer using the HTTP protocol. If it were using the FTP protocol, you would not be getting a web page served, but rather a file list (and you would likely need to provide credentials to see the file list, anyway).