Ursula Le Guin Interview

You might want to take a break in your writing to read this interview with long-time fantasy writer Ursula Le Guin:

interviewmagazine.com/cultur … -le-guin#_

Here are samples:

And:

And:

And:

Lots of good advice from a very experienced author.

–Mike Perry, Inkling Books

Thank you.

A Wizard of Earthsea was a revelation when I first read it (early teens?) – I remember having deep discussions with my parents about the story, the imagery, and the underlying themes. This book, more than any other I can identify, introduced to me the idea of interpretation, of meanings for readers beyond the concrete imagery of the words on the page and overt narrative of the characters. I remember re-reading it in school, and being grumpy at the teachers for “knowing” what the author intended when I didn’t think they did (and being delighted to discover an interview with Ursula Le Guin at about that time that vindicated my position – not that I let that get to my head or influence my… er… discussions with my teacher :unamused: ).

Le Guin is an author I respect enormously. So pleased to be reacquainted again.

Glad you enjoyed her interview.

It’s my theory that for many people their love for books was born with one great book or one great author they read as a child. Parents should do their best to help their children make that discovery.

Education is much the same. One great teacher can inspire a love of learning. Unfortunately, a series of rotten ones can cause a child to hate school, blighting the rest of their lives.

I don’t know about your Australia, but one of the vilest cultural gaps in America is that between:

• An affluent elite who send their kids either to expensive private schools or to public schools who know they must compete with those private schools. In those schools, teachers who can’t perform are soon out of work.

• An impoverished underclass trapped in dreadful public schools with even more dreadful teachers who don’t care and can’t be fired.

There has to be a special place in hell for those keep this foul gap alive and destroying lives.

Revealingly, it seems to be those in the first group who’re the most zealous to keep this terrible situation around. Their kids benefit twice: 1. From having better schools and 2. From not having to compete later with talented kids condemned to those rotten schools.

–Mike Perry, author of My Nights with Leukemia

As one who’s lived on both coasts of the US, she’s dead-on about the parochialism back east. Everything is so squished together, it’s hard to realize there’s a huge world outside of its borders. You see the same attitude in the arts (at least music), as well.

Thanks for alerting us to this! So proud to share a city with one of my literary heroines, whose work I’ve loved for forty years now. She speaks frequently hear in Portland and has a new version of her valuable boom for writers, Steering the Craft.