Use chapter titles for file names

I searched for the answer to this question but couldn’t find one. I’ve set a cloud drive for my Scrivener file save location so I can write using my Android tablet. When I look at the save location and navigate to the “Docs” folder within the “Files” folder I see a number of .rtf formatted files. They seem to follow a #.rtf naming convention. Is there a way to have Scrivener name the files according to the name I set in the Binder? So for Chapter 1, scene 1 it would name the file Chapter_1_Scene_1.rtf or even 1_1.rtf or some such?

Thanks

Great googley moogley! DO NOT EDIT THOSE FILES OUTSIDE OF SCRIVENER! The internal structure of Scrivener can be delicate at times, and should not be messed with using other editors. You can work with an exported set of files (File->Export), and then sort on date stamps to find the ones that were changed recently to copy & paste the data. Eventually (probably in version 2), they’ll get around to adding external folder syncing so you can more easily do what you’re doing now.

Just don’t mess up your project by editing the files that Scrivener maintains. Also, not all folder syncing services are a good solution for Scrivener projects; especially avoid Google Drive if you’re going to edit the project (IN SCRIVENER) “live” on a cloud file syncing service.

For more info, look up chapter 13 in the user manual (Cloud Integration and Sharing).

Thank you for the update. I will desist editing those files directly. Can’t wait for version 2 now. Does the Mac version allow for better cloud syncing? I might consider getting a mac for just that reason.

It does; but you might consider just investing in an iPad once Scrivener for iOS comes out (I’m guessing next year?); I suspect that integration with that version of Scrivener will be top priority, and come sooner than for generic syncing will under Windows.

But if it’s that valuable to you, there are videos on the Mac Support page about syncing with Index Card and other similar iOS plain text apps; that process should work just as well for any Android app that can browse and edit a list of files from Dropbox or similar cloud sync. Also, you can download the Mac manual and read the appropriate sections on External Folder Sync to get an idea of what’s involved. I would suggest you try before you buy, if you have access to a Mac for testing purposes. I find it more trouble than it’s worth for my iPhone, so I’ve never bothered to learn how to do folder syncing properly. I’d hate to advocate you switch platforms for a feature that doesn’t necessarily meet your needs.