Use of images in Scrivener for Windows

Hello,
I am rather new to Scrivener, and I have tried to delve into the manual, but there are some things that still do not appear clear to me! :open_mouth:
I would like to use some images related to the text I am writing. Everyone of those pictures might weight, let’s say, from 1 MB to 3 MB.
I know I can place them in the Research folder inside the Binder, as separate files. But it seems that I cannot place them inside the Draft folder, only inside a text document. And also resizing those pictures, so that they become really light or small, otherwise Scrivener will slow down so much as to be unusable.
I also have tried to put them in the Synopsis right corner window, which is something that helps a little.
But anyway, I do not know if there is a procedure to make images appear in the final Compiler.
Something like putting a link to the image file, that afterwards turns into the real image (with some syntax I ignore); or inserting a Placeholder Tag, or something like that.
Is there some workaround for that? Or is it planned for the near future?
Any help would be really appreciated.

Yes, we do have two things planned to make large images feasible in the editor. One will be to create link that displays as an ordinary image that is turned into an embedded one when compiled. The other method will be a typed in placeholder which can refer to images in the Binder or on the disk.

In the meanwhile, just use placeholder graphics for now. Smaller versions of the photos in JPEG format that merely indicate where the final picture should be placed once compiled is good enough.

Thank you for your answer, AmberV :exclamation:

Do you have any idea about a reasonable size for those small JPG, in pixels or in Kb, so that Scrivener keeps on working fluidly?
Do you think that there is some size limit per entry, or for the whole Draft folder?
I would like to have some 300 to 500 files in the Draft, and many of those small images…

Locus Solus

The larger impact is how big each section in the binder is individually. The way things work, each of those sections are saved as a separate RTF file. This means you project can be much larger than the editor would ordinarily accommodate. If the graphics are spread out among many documents, you may not have much of a problem. When you drop a graphic into the editor, it embeds all of the bytes into that RTF file, which can increase load and save times (you can increase the autosave duration in the general options), and in a linear fashion when loading several of these documents in Scrivenings mode.

The best answer to how big is difficult to say though, since that will vary with your computer’s hard drive access speed and CPU. I would proceed as you have, and if you notice a section takes an unusual amount of time to load, you might wish to replace the graphics in it with smaller versions. It’s fine to dump the large versions as individual images into a non-draft area of the Binder. This will not impact practical usage, but you may find backups slow down. If it gets to the point where it takes too long to back up, I would myself prefer to keep the larger resources out of the project. That’s a personal decision though. I value backups more than convenience.

Thank you so much for your advice, AmberV.
I’ll let you know how it works for me.