Use Synopsis (Index Cards) as Submission Outline

I’m sure this has been talked about, but can’t find it here. It’s very common for authors to be asked for “50 pages and a synopsis – or outline.” I just pitched a novel, and I need to send out just that.

So far the only way I’ve been able to figure out how to do that is to use a separate document for each chunk of the outline. And that exports very easily and looks fine in word.

I suspect I can use the Index Cards Synopsis for that purpose. But how? It’s easy to enter the text. But how can I get the Synopsis Text out of Scrivener and into Word?

Yes, I’d say the synopsis text is ideal for putting together a submission outline. You do not need to do anything special to compile an outline with titles and synopses. Merely select the “Title and Synopses” option from the “Format As” drop-down in the Compile window, choose RTF, and click the compile button.

But I would also click on the “All Options” tab while you are there and take a look at the Formatting pane. This is where reports like this can be set up, so it’s good to know where all of this is, in case you want to make a minor alteration in how this is formatted, or do something like add the meta-data for your own purposes.

Note you can also just print from any outliner view—but compiling will be superior as it will only include elements of the Draft that are actually a part of the work. Stuff that has been excluded will appear anyway, when using File/Print Current Document... from an outline.