Useless newbie

I am greatly enjoying using Scrivener on my Mac (10.9.4). In all likelihood I’m doing something silly but I cannot make Compile work for me.

The first thing I wrote consisted of a single Scene, I left the default name, and that compiled fine.

Next thing I wrote became longer and longer, so I split it into 4 scenes. When I select them by highlighting and say Compile, Scrivener compiles the whole of Chapter 1, but then only compiles the first page of the next 3 chapters for a total of 11 pages.

I created a new Scrivener project, copy pasted everything back together into one scene, and then compiled. Then I got the whole document compiled for a total of 34 pages.

Can anyone advise me what I’m doing wrong?

I don’t believe which items you have selected/highlighted in the binder, at the time you initiate Compile, has any bearing on what gets compiled. Rather, that is specified in Compile. Specifically, in File > Compile > Contents. When you go File > Compile, you should see an expanded dialog that offers Contents and other choices. If you don’t, click the big blue arrow to expand the minimized dialog. Also, when you go File > Compile, check out the other choices besides Contents.

Check out the built in tutorial (Help > Interactive Tutorial) and video tutorials literatureandlatte.com/videos.php

Also check out the manual, particularly CHAPTER 24. COMPILING THE DRAFT. The manual is built in (Help > Scrivener Manual) and also available as a downloable PDF at literatureandlatte.com/supp … #Scrivener

There are various discussions of compiling in the forums (search on “compile”), on the Internet (search on “Scrivener compile”) and in various books/ebooks (search on Amazon or other book/ebook stores on “Scrivener”).

Hope that helps.

@Springfield
Thank you so much for replying in such detail. I had in fact already done almost all that you recommended; I am an RTFM and search the fora sort of guy. All to no avail.
And even after applying your advice, it is still doing it – compiling the first document in full and only the first page of the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th document.
I can only imagine that some sort of coding has somehow made its way into my documents or that there is a bug in Scrivener.

I’m sure one of the tech support gurus will post here soon (if not, you can contact them directly).

In the meantime, can you post a screen shot of your binder and your compile settings? The visual cues might enable us mere mortals to offer some useful suggestions.

@nom

Hi, and thanks for the response. I did in fact write direct to C&L and one of the tech gurus responded at lightning speed and has resolved the problem.
It turned out that for some unknown reason my pages/sections/ or whatever they’re called were invisibly (until invisibles were turned on) formatted as tables. And that was causing the problem.
BUT, I never, wittingly, formatted my writings as tables, so now I’m puzzled about that. And also worried that it’s not immediately visible that one has (since it can only be seen when one says Show Invisibles).
Anyway, all’s well that ends well and thank you to everyone in the community.

By default, tables will have visible borders, so it usually isn’t an issue. The most common case where this can arise is if one starts writing directly on the sample title page that is distributed with some of the starter templates. It uses an invisible table to lay out the submission cover sheet information, and so if one uses that as a starting point, and then takes the practice of duplicating a document and then deleting the text and starting anew to write, then that table can end up propagating everywhere.

Another common source is copy and paste from other programs. Pasting material in from web pages can result in invisible tables if that page used tables as a layout tool (fortunately, that is not a common practice any more, but a lot of older pages still do).