Using chapters

I am writing a simple ‘chapter book’ for 8-12 year-olds.

When using chapters in the novel template, should I write directly in the ‘chapter’ folder or create scenes within the chapters? Is there an advantage or disadvantage to doing this either way? (Apart from being able to add multiple scenes if I use the scenes within a chapter mode.)
Thanks.

Hi, nzmueller. Actually, the folder/chapter/container/document is a starting convention you may override at any time. You can write text on a folder as much as you can do on a text document. And you can convert any one of them into the other as you see fit during your project development. So don’t be afraid to write anything on stone since flexibility is a great feature in Scrivener.

I personally prefer to keep the Act/Chapters folders clean from text, since I use them for structuring purposes which I can manage on a two-level outline without all the details included on each scene. Then I write the scenes as text documents or document containers (one document that contains also other documents), and I can easily move scenes from one chapter to another as I see convenient.

But then again, it’s completely up to you! I suggest you start with the approach suggested by the template and refine it once you feel comfortable with the tool.

Hope this helps!

I would also add that you should read through the “Novel Format” help file that was created at the top of the Binder. It explains how it was set up to be used, and how you can tweak things to work other ways in some cases. By default, a folder full of text files will print a numbered title using the folder’s name and insert a page break. The individual text files will be separated by a centre-aligned “#”. If you wish to use files for chapters instead, the help file in the Binder will describe the things you should do. Most of our templates are designed to work for either of these common methods, with little variations here and there (such as the Novel with Parts template, which distinguishes top level folders differently from nested folders). It’s all highly flexible though, as r6d2 points out. We made these templates starting with the Blank starter, and there is nothing about them you couldn’t do yourself with a little knowledge, and there are thousands of other things you could do that we haven’t provided examples for. The templates just demonstrate one useful approach to using Scrivener for a particular purpose.

Thanks both of these answers are really helpful.
Cheers. 8)