Using colored text to define things in the editor

This is very possible of course.

I had an idea that maybe I could use this as a way to distinguish certain scene goals from each other, so that in a revision state of mind (this is not the same as revision colors) I could see at a glance whether a sentence was there essentially to reach one goal rather than another (such as characterization vs. setting vs. story movement, etc.)

When looking at the micro level of revisionist editing, this could be helpful.

It also would be something invisible to actual readers, assuming everything reverted to black type in any copy they might be given to read.

So my question is this: If you have certain text colored differently in the editor view, is there a setting in Compile that automatically reverts all text to black? I’d like to see this in Composition Mode as well, if possible.

But search as I might, I have not found the answer in the manual.

Here you are: (also, see p. 584 of the manual)

Aside from the excellent tip above, on how colour can be used purely for editorial purposes, my own favourite approach to this problem is mentioned in the manual (indeed it is organised topically from the standpoint of features rather than usage, since the latter has a billion permutations), in §15.6.2, The Basics of Styles, under subheading, Styles That Do Nothing. As noted there:

The style highlight feature works well for stuff like this. For one thing you don’t have to set up the compiler to “undo” the special formatting, but you can also then make use of the View ▸ Text Editing ▸ Hide Markup command to get a “readers view” of the text.

Great tip, Ioa! There is one problem I’ve found, though: If I’m using iOS Scrivener at all, the “purely visual highlighting fills” are not visible on iOS. Thus, text tagged ONLY with a do-nothing named style is effectively indistinguishable on iOS from default text (especially as I can’t, say, have a formatting bar or style list visible on iOS.) This can lead to problems if I add text I really don’t want tagged, and it picks up the do-nothing style.

My workaround for this is to add ordinary highlighting to my “do-nothing” named styles so that they can be seen on iOS. This presents a problem at Mac compile time, as the styles’ highlighting will be respected by the compiler even if I check “Remove text highlighting” in the compile options. Therefore, at Mac compile time, I add the styles to my compile formats, with highlighting removed.

OTOH, if @Jack Daniel never uses iOS Scrivener, he’ll never encounter this and never need to worry about it.

Ioa and Silverdragon,

Thank you for this discussion! I’ve never had a need for styles before, but I happen to have a use case now in a story I’m working on. Good to know the pros/cons/workarounds before I give it a try. :slight_smile:

Best,
Jim