Using images

I have a feeling this is obvious but I can’t figure it out.

I’ve imported an image into my ‘Research’ folder and would like to view that image in the Notes for a text document. I’ve tried dragging and copy/paste but can’t get it to work (it’s a jpg file).

Am I trying to do something that can’t be done?

Yeah, you can’t do that. When you drag something from the binder, it doesn’t put any file or image data on the pasteboard, so a text view won’t be able to find anything, which is what is happening in this case.

If you are unable to view images in the Notes view (never tried it myself), but want to work while having the image in constant view (which is what I assume you would want to have an image in the Notes view for), you can split the editing area, and work in one pane with the image in the other.

Thanks cruxdestruct.

You’re right, I did want the image to be in view whilst editing - but in full screen mode. As far as I can see, there’s no way to do it, but it’s not the end of the world :slight_smile:

Note that you can have an image in the notes view. But you have to drag it in from the Finder, you can’t drag it in from the binder…

EDIT: I’ll add this to the list for image files only…

Hoorah!!

Thanks Keith, I never thought of that - it works splendidly.

Oops, I just edited my post as you were replying. I’ve added this to the list of things to do. I’ll set it up so that you can drag images from the binder into text. It will only work for single image files, though, not for movie files (because there is a bug with Apple’s text view and QT files in some circumstances).

I could be wrong, but it sounds to me as if Cocoa is quite buggy …

There are quite a few bugs and sometimes I am a little astounded by some of them. To name but a few: if a QuickTime file is displayed in two text views that are displaying the same text, there can be a crash (hence Scrivener no longer allows you to do this); you cannot save text with tables in it in arbitrary binary files, or else the table formatting will get messed up (SG had this problem with snapshots - fortunately an Apple enginer posted a fix for this though so S1 gets around it); there are various drawing bugs in any given view (for instance, in a unified toolbar app such as Scrivener, try hiding the toolbar and then showing it again - you will see that the separate line is now much darker, or some of it will be; or, see what happens to a selected toolbar item such as the Corkboard icon; often, every item in the toolbar can even disappear!); split views are hell… I could go on. :slight_smile: It is still the nicest system for programming an application that I have ever come across, though, and each release of OS X fixes more of these bugs.

I have a question about the trial version of Scrivener. Can jpgs be opened or imported in? I have tried and also read the tutorial but still can’t figure out how to do it. I read a lot of the threads in your forums but could not find an answer. Apologies if this has been asked before.

Just drag your jpg to the Research folder in the binder. You’ll get a message stating that the file will be converted to rtfd format, click to accept that, and the process is complete. From there, you can resize, copy and paste, link - the choice is yours! :wink:

Yeah, you can’t put images or anything but text into the Draft folder. The research folder can handle those things. You can also use the reference pane if you don’t want to import media or pdf files into Scr. directly.

The tutorial does a good job of laying out much of this. I’d suggest giving it a try.

Best,

Alexandria