Using in-line images of special font glyphs so they will appear in ebooks

I have a novel set in the Anglo-Saxon Era and use a special font to include some of the Anglo-Saxon runes in section headings and here and there within the text. This works fine for the print version of the book but most ebook readers can’t/won’t display special fonts and there appears to be no way to get Scrivener to include them in the ebook compile formats. My recourse is to take screen grabs of the individual runes that I use and insert then as in-line graphics in the text. Has anyone done this? Is there a way to be sure the graphics will be similar in size to the text? What image format would be best: png, jpg, tiff . . . ?
Any and all advice and suggestions gratefully received!
Dean Whitlock

Scrivener can’t embed special fonts in ebooks, but dedicated ebook publishing software can.

Katherine

Hi Katherine, thanks for the reply, and my apologies for being so distracted by other projects that I didn’t get right back to you. I had guessed Scrivener didn’t embed special fonts, and understand why. You mention dedicated ebook software. Can you mention one or two I might look into?

Thanks again,
Dean

We often recommend Calibre, which is free and open source. But I’m not really familiar enough with that niche to offer detailed suggestions.

Katherine

Thanks, I’ll check it out.
Dean