Using index cards as outline?

Hi everyone,
I am brand new at Scrivener. I’ve done the tutorial but still have questions.
I imported my novel scene by scene, making each scene a separate file and grouping the scenes into chapter folders in the binder. I also wrote notes on the notecards in the “synopsis” column on the right side of the screen. What I want to do is see all of those notecards on the corkboard so I can rearrange scenes.
Is that possible? If so, How the heck do you do it?
Many thanks for any light you can shed!

Unfortunately, once you’ve got your cards filed off into separate containers, you can’t see them all on one cork board. My suggestion is to try the outline mode with just titles & synopses showing (you can pick and choose which columns to show or hide). That way, you can expand all your chapters and see every scene. You’ll be able to drag scenes into other chapter folders, create new ones and do anything you might have done on the cork board.

If you really want to have them all on one corkboard, and retain the ability to rearrange them and add new cards, then you’ll have to pull those scenes back out of the chapter folders. Set them alongside the folders rather than inside them, and then you’ll be able to drag scene cards above or below a given chapter. Later, when you’re ready to write them out, or even just prior to compiling, you can move them back into the chapter folders.

If it’s only a question of finding the right place for a scene within three or four chapters, you can select more than one chapter folder in the binder (by keeping the CMD-key pressed) and have them appear as several corkboards, divided by thin lines. Then simply drag and drop “cards” between these different corkboard sections (and you can choose whether they should be vertical or horizontal).

Unfortunately, this isn’t possible in the Windows version (kcsteffen’s profile shows that platform). I hope they’ll be able to implement this for version 2 once they’ve programmed around the limitations of the current editor.

Windows can use Documents > Open > With All Subdocuments to show all the subdocuments of a container, so just to see the full spread, that would work. (This option exists in the Mac version as well.) It’s not possible to rearrange the items in this mode however, since all the levels have been compressed into a flat grid for viewing on the corkboard.

If you want to stick with the corkboard rather than outliner and retain the ability to rearrange items, try using a split editor with “Allow dropping dragged items onto cards” enabled in the Corkboard settings in Tools > Options. Load the draft folder in the left editor (or top or wherever makes sense) so you see all the chapter cards there, then click the double-arrow button in the editor footer to link it to the right editor. When you click on one of the chapter cards, all its scene cards will appear on the corkboard on the right. You can hide the binder and inspector to give yourself more room. From here, you can drag a scene card from its current chapter and drop it on a different chapter’s stack in the left editor, then select that chapter in the left editor and shuffle its scenes in the right.

Wow! Thank you all for the great advice. I’m going to dive right in and an attempt apply your suggestions.

An aspect of it appears to be in the current beta version for Windows. I hold down the Ctrl key and click the folder I want and click on any underlying file(s); each appears on the corkboard (no little thin lines, however). (Or has this been around all along and I just haven’t discovered it until now?)
John

This is just creating a multiple selection. The stacked corkboards the others were discussing is a distinct feature that works more like selecting a single container, showing the containers’ subdocuments and allowing them to be rearranged on the corkboard. It will be part of the next major Windows update but is not in 1.7.1.

Looking forward to that! Thanks again!