Using <$n> for numbering but have n be based on total files or being able to set starting number at compile time?

Hi Amazing Scriveners,

I’ve been trying to figure out the best way to approach my chapter numbering system and have looked up and read a few threads on approaches people are using.

I currently have my Manuscript orgainzed into 3 ACT folders containing chapters as text files. In my second ACT which I’m currently revising, I have about 30 or 40 chapters in there and I’m realizing, I need to drmatically rearrange the order and break some chapters up, and so on.

This is not a big deal if I use <$n> in my title and when I go compile the chapter numbers are added.

However, I’m also workshopping these chapters one or two at a time and I would like to be able to keep that consistent based on the current order. When I go to compile selected files only, the number starts at 1, so I don’t get the correct chapter number.

Either by the total count of the files in the project (and where this current file is postiionaed. Or to at least be able to enter in the strting number at compile time.

Is there a way to accomplish this. Perhaps there is some other placeholder that gives me this number that I’m not finding?

I’d appreciate any helpful pointers here.

Thank you!
-Brian

Hello, Brian.

Hope the following helps.

In the sample project attached…

  • Compile any single subfolder inside the manuscript (“part” or “chapter”) and the part and chapter numbers will be retained, so long as “treat compile group as complete manuscript” is not selected.

  • You can not select multiple subfolders, but nested sub-subfolders are included in any partial compile. For example, the chapter sub-subfolders inside any part will compile with the correct chapter numbers.

  • You could move chapters into a temporary subfolder (if necessary) to get the compile group you want.

  • Alternatively, compile the entire manuscript and then edit the output to remove extraneous sections.

[attachment=0]NovelParts.zip[/attachment]

[attachment=2]partial compile 1.png[/attachment]

[attachment=1]partial compile 2.png[/attachment]

Ah, I see, so having this rather generic structure of scenes in folders of Chapters and then Chapters fit into Parts (or Acts), gives me the flexibility to move this stuff around. Very cool.

Thanks for taking the time to give me the clear details here, I’ll start working this!

Best Regards,
-Brian

Happy to have been of some help.

Good luck with your book.

Happy New Year

L

I got cracking and fixed up all my chapters in this way. Works like a charm!

I also noticed that if I move the synopsis from the files to the Chapter folders, this also work quite well for Outline view. You do have the “Chapter” name in there as the title, but no biggie.

Thanks so much for the help.

And Happy New Year to you as well.

Cheers,
-Brian

Hello.

If you mean the word “chapter” appears in the compiled output, it can be removed (see sample project attached). Apologies if I have misunderstood.

And you can give the folders any names you want, so you don’t have to use generic labels such as “part” or “chapter”. It is the structure and the assignment of section types that control the final output.

And you don’t even have to use folders—files can also have sub-documents. Again, see the sample project attached, where some parts and chapters are now files, but they still have the section types assigned to compile correctly.

Best

L

[attachment=0]NovelPartsII.zip[/attachment]

[attachment=1]chapter number only.png[/attachment]