Using PDFs as containers - slight problem

Hello! I’m the research folder quite extensively, and have come across something that I hope is modifiable. When I take notes on PDF files, I do so in documents within the PDFs (I use the PDFs as containers – see attached screenshot). This makes it very easy to see all the notes in one place, by selecting the folder containing all the PDFs and viewing it in Scrivenings mode. So far so good. The problem is, when I select “Text editing --> Show Titles in Scrivenings,” it doesn’t show the titles of the PDF files, it only shows the titles of the documents beneath the PDFs. (Also see screenshot.) I realize the workaround is to place a folder with the same name as the PDF directly beneath the PDF but that just seems like an extra unnecessary layer. If the PDF titles could show up in Scrivenings, that would be fantastic. (I believe all other containers do show up in Scrivenings, which is why I’m posting this in tech support rather than feature request…)

Thank you!
Screenshot 2018-07-24 06.56.36.zip (277 KB)

I’m afraid there’s no way around this. The reason is that scrivenings can only show text documents - it is simply a text storage wrapper that loads in different texts and synchronises with them. There is no way for it to load in a PDF document, and it cannot show the titles for documents that are not part of the scrivenings session.

All the best,
Keith

Thanks, Keith. And there is no way for Scrivenings to replace placeholders, right? For example, if I had a bunch of subdocuments, all with <$parenttitle> as their name, there would be no way for Scrivenings to print the name of the parent instead of just “<$parenttitle>”, correct?

That’s right - placeholders are purely for Compile.

All the best,
Keith