Using ProWritingAid and Grammerly

Does anyone know if there are some instructions for using Grammarly and ProWritingAid with Scrivener for Windows? Right now I export to Word, work with the tools and then import it back. This is a bit of a pain. But I like the extra help I get. I bring this up because the latest update (3.1.4) explicitly says it provides better support. I would enjoy very much being able to use these tools directly.

On Windows, there’s ProWritingAid Everywhere and that works in Scrivener. I think the update you’re referring to fixed an issue with this.

There’s also a PWA stand-alone app that can open Scrivener projects, but L&L don’t seem to be too happy that it exists and warn against using 3rd party apps that make changes to Scrivener projects. PWA Everywhere seems to be the safer option.

(Mac user here, waiting for PWA Everywhere for Mac coming out of Beta)

DXVictor,

As dirkhaun says,

There’s also a PWA stand-alone app that can open Scrivener projects, but L&L don’t seem to be too happy that it exists and warn against using 3rd party apps that make changes to Scrivener projects.

I use PWA Everywhere (internally) and the stand-alone app (externally) all the time. I like it because it is so feature rich (maybe not quite as rich as Grammerly?) but it is a lot less expensive.

PWA Everywhere is very nicely integrated with Scrivener but the stand-alone app offers more analysis tools. So I use both.

The MOST IMPORTANT THING to remember is that, like all 3rd party tools, to avoid corrupting your project/document YOU SHOULD ONLY OPEN YOUR PROJECT IN ONE TOOL AT A TIME.

To answer your initial question,

Does anyone know if there are some instructions for using Grammarly and ProWritingAid with Scrivener for Windows?

PWA Everywhere works with many windows apps (Word, Outlook, Notepad, Web forms, almost anywhere you can type in text). Look for the colored dot in the lower right corner and for color-underlined words/phrases in the text. It’s pretty intuitive and only takes about 5 minutes experimentation to figure it out.

To use the external app, open your .scrivx file (inside your .scriv folder) and away you go.

Here are a couple of links to help you get started:
PWA Everywhere for Windows
PWA Early Preview

Also remember that the PWA external app doesn’t know anything about your backup settings. You should trigger a backup from inside Scrivener (and close Scrivener) before editing in PWA. After you are finished, return to Scrivener and do another backup.

Hope this helps. Happy Scrivening!
Tom

2 Likes

I use the Windows Desktop Grammerly while typing in Scrivener 3.1.4. I’ve never used ProWriting Aid or Word. Grammarly is more up-to-date than the Scrivener I’m using. So I have no complaints. They work together.

I was using Grammarly, but months ago they discontinued support for Scrivener, so I switched to ProWritingAid, which supports Scrivener on Mac as well as Windows. I am on Mac and use PWA everywhere as well as the PWA app. The latter opens Scrivener projects, allows editing and saving, and should not damage the Scrivener file. The only problem I had was when I used it to open a section of the ms that had 5,000+ words. It choked on it, so I forced it to quit, and when I tried to open the project in Scrivener, I got a warning it was open in another application, so I restored the project by opening the newest backup, and everything was fine.