Using <$rst> on its own

As it stands right now (Windows version 1.7.3), you can’t use <$rst> unless it’s immediately followed by <$n> (or probably one of the variations). So you can’t reset the chapter number unless you immediately use up “1”. If <$rst> could be placed on its own in the header (prefix or suffix), then each “part” of a novel could restart chapters at 1 automatically, with no pain.

I guess in such a situation it would be a “non-printing” tag, kind of a meta-command.

That’s true, this is a current limitation. There is a second form we will be adding in the future that will let you reset any counter type without actually invoking that counter type that will make this sort of thing possible.

Another thing that would be nice is a sub-sub-number. Here is what I mean:

Book I
Chapter 1 (notice Roman numbers in the “book” count)
Scene 1
Scene 2
Chapter 2
Scene 1
Scene 2
Chapter 3
Scene 1
Scene 2
Book II
Chapter 1
Scene 1
Scene 2
Chapter 2
Scene 1
Scene 2
Chapter 3
Scene 1
Scene 2

Right now this is impossible, due to the fact that <$sn> or <$sR> will only handle one step down, not two or more.
Sure, you could use the <$hn> instead, but the hierarchical numbers cut out the chance using Roman numbers, letters or anything else.

A nice touch would be <$n>, then <$sn> and then an additional <$ssn>… sub-sub-number.

Cheers!

Yes, that is how it should be working. You would put the chapter reset code in the “Part” prefix or suffix, so that whenever a level 1 folder ocurred, it would reset <$n>. The relationship between that and <$sn> has no dependency upon any other numbering being done at higher or level levels (such as the Part <$R> prefix).

But one thing of note, I don’t quite understand why you need three levels of depth here. In your example, I only see two levels of non-Roman numeric depth being used. The Roman numerals for Parts is, like I say, not really a part of the equation here. The only thing that I see that can’t be done right now is reseting the chapter numbers for each part—right now Book II would start with Chapter 4, in this example, with no easy way to change that—but the section numbering should still be resetting, whether or not it’s “Chapter 1” or “Chapter 4”, if that makes sense.

Or at least that is how it should be working.

Still toying around with this, but I see your point. Thank you!

I am also looking for a way to reset chapters without displaying the chapter. Is there any new info about this functionality?