Using Scrivener as a Daily Journal?

I’m attempting to use Scrivener as a Daily Journal to capture what’s going on in my life and work.
1st, I created a “Daily Journal” Project.
To facilitate daily entry, I created a daily journal item, not project, template .
Presently, each day I duplicate the Daily Journal “item” template as a new dated item in the Daily Journal project and fill in the sections at the end of each day.

Is this the best practicee for using Scrivener as a Daily Journal or is there a better way to automate? For example, auto create a month’s worth of dated items (e.g. Daily Journal - mm.dd.yy] ?
If not, how about auto dating each new daily entry?

Well one thing you can consider is that Scrivener already dutifully records the creation date as well as the modification date for each item, this is true even if you are using the Document Template feature in the 1.7 beta to generate your daily entry. Since you can add these to the Outliner as a column or view them in the Inspector, it seems a bit superfluous to add it again in the title—but that’s your call of course.

I would say there are probably very few “best practice” here, given that the software is super flexible and can probably accommodate whatever sort of organisation you are looking for. Personally I think it is a great tool for journalling. The way I work doesn’t really require a calendar feature or anything like that, and since it is a tool that I’m already proficient in, writing down my thoughts within it is second nature.

Thanks AmberV for the quick reply!
Perhaps I’m looking at this all wrong.
For instance, I’m fine with creating/using a monthly document with each day as another “section” (e.g horizontal line) for each monthly doc.
Do you happen to have an example or template of how you use Scrivener for daily journaling?
Attached is a screen capture of my sample template. Suggestions?

Ha, well I could go into that… I have on the forums in years past, so if you’re really interested I could give you some links. Suffice to say I have a rather involved and massive approach to journalling that is probably outside of what most people would be interested in using. For instance I create a new entry for every single thought or thing, of which I might have many per day. So for me an organisation more like:

Year Quarter Day Thought 1 Thought 2 Thought 3

Since I can click on “Day” and hit Scrivenings view mode to read the whole thing like a single daily sheet, that doesn’t really bother me. That’s just a nice side-effect of using Scrivener, where any parent item can be considered a “Document” no matter how many pieces it is composed of.

To be perfectly clear, I don’t actually use that organisation method as described above, but to describe the method I do use would mean going into a bunch of off-topic explanation into the system itself. However, if I did organise things below the quarter-of-year interval, I would be happy to use something like the above.

If monthly files with divider lines is what you need, go for it. However like I say, I’d give some thought into a Month folder with daily entries, since Scrivenings mode gives you a divider line for free, each entry has an inherent date stamp, and it means if you want to mark a day with some piece of meta-data like a keyword, or link one day to another, you can more easily do so. If you keep one file per month, all of your organisation will be limited by that unit of measurement. So select your unit of measurement (how much is in a single file) by balancing comfort with organisational specificity.

Food for thought, but the most important thing I’ve personally discovered with journalling (no matter what system or software you use) is that the number one rule is: reduce friction for yourself. If you have to do a bunch of filing and clicking around to write down your thought, chances are you won’t write it down—or you will and just put it in a junkheap “inbox” folder that never gets sorted. :slight_smile:

P.S. Don’t forget Edit/Insert/Current Date and Time! You can use that in the title field as well.

Thanks for the follow-up AmberV.
Being a visual person, any way you can screen capture a sample of what you’ve suggested, like my previous attachment? Regardless, I’ll spend some time re-reading and digesting what you’ve suggested.

Cheers!