Using Scrivener in Firewire Target Mode

I own a desktop MacMini and a laptop MacBook Pro (both running Snow Leopard). I generally use my laptop for writing (Scrivener) because I need the mobility. But sometimes I like to write at home. I recently bought a KVM switch that allows me to use my monitor, keyboard and mouse with either computer by a flip of the switch. Thus, I can easily switch back and forth between the two computers and this solution works pretty well, although at times there are glitches—the keyboard will suddenly stop working, etc.—requiring me to reboot both systems.

It just occurred to me that I could just as easily use my laptop in Firewire Target Mode. The MacMini would treat the laptop as an external hard drive, and, thus, I would be able to access the Scrivener documents on the laptop.

Does anyone see potential problems with this? Can Scrivener be run from the laptop or would it be better to install it on the MacMini?

Check out the last post by Jaysen here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7575&p=63221&hilit=external+drive#p63220

Between his suggestion and mine, you may find that you can or can’t accomplish what you want to do. Of course, I assume you’ll have internet access, but it still might not save you from any annoyances; I’m not sure, and am kind of low on brain power at the moment.

Thanks, but that’s probably way more complicated than it needs to be. I’m simply going to install Scrivener on my MacMini and open up Scrivener documents stored on an external hard drive (which happens to be a MacBook Pro connected in firewire target mode). I’m sure this will work. I’ll give it a try and report back here.