Using Scrivener on different platforms

I won’t pay for Dropbox as I have 1TB of space on OneDrive included with Office 365, The only way I seem to be able to use Scrivener on desktop vs laptop is to save it to a local folder and then copy the folder to OneDrive. I also put the folder on a thumbdrive but haven’t tested it… I am somewhat technical, but I don’t grasp the fact that I can’t just have the folder on OneDrive and be able to open it from anywhere? I will ask my iOS question in the proper forum while awaiting any ideas on the cloud folder issue.

For Windows Scrivener, the entire .scriv folder needs to be stored on the local hard drive. How you accomplish that is up to you.

If OneDrive is failing to make the project accessible, that sounds like a question for their support team.

Katherine

Why do you need to pay for Dropbox? The free option is enough for any Scrivener project. You can continue to use OneDrive for everything else.

As krastev says, a Dropbox Basic Account is free, and comes with 2GB. Here’s a URL with more info:

https://www.dropbox.com/help/account/create-account

I can’t say for sure what the problem is with OneDrive on your PC’s, but as your other post makes it seem like you want to share projects between your PCs and your iOS devices, then you’ll need to use Dropbox to accomplish that.

Have you purchased and installed iOS Scrivener?

And just an additional point - if you recommend friends etc to set up Dropbox and they do you get an additional free allowance. I have over 9gb of free Dropbox as a result of that system.

They do seem to log by device ID as I erased my old MBP and sold it to a friend who I subsequently invited to DB and it was disallowed when she installed - multiple installs on same machine.

Isn’t it possible to also accomplish this using iTunes file transfer? That’s a point that often gets lost on these forums.

No.

OneDrive works fine for me with the Windows version of Scrivener. I am able to share projects between my Laptop and my Desktop machines (both Windows). This sounds like a setup issue to me. There is no significant difference in infrastructure and function between how any of the “Cloud” storage services operate. They pretty much compete on price and extra functions. But the basic service is a commodity.

Until it doesn’t and you return to the forum with ‘Where did my files go?’ question.

That statement is completely false. Look around the forum and you’ll find your answer.

Well, I guess my years as a Teradata DBA has been all a lie or some sort of dream. There really IS no difference in the basic infrastructure in the various online storage services, particularly so since most of them are just resellers of Amazon and Microsoft services. Server farms are expensive to construct and maintain, especially so if you are looking for a global customer base. The front end software can vary a bit in design and features, but they all have to integrate into industry standards at the back end.

Of course, there is some risk storing data online, just as there is some risk in storing data locally. Which is why, when it comes to computers, a little paranoia isn’t ‘crazy’ so much as it is a reasonable ‘survival skill’. If you value what you are storing, your disaster recovery planning includes BOTH or it should at least. It is extremely unlikely that I will ever wonder where my files went.

However, the risks of online storage are no greater for day to day use than are the risks of local storage. Some people feel better by being able to control their recovery efforts themselves, after a catastrophic loss, so for them, local storage makes a certain amount of sense. But for the non-technical person, I believe.the value of mirroring, raid technology and distributed storage offered by the online services far outweigh the DIY flexibility that local drives offer.

If you aren’t the sort of person who runs chkdsk a couple times a year, and knows the symptoms of a Hard drive that is about to crash, then, in my opinion, you are better off storing your day to day stuff in “the cloud”.

I think, in time software publishers like L&L will come to see the value of encouraging their users to use online storage, and start writing in safeguards and checks to minimize any risks that are unique to their particular software infrastructure…

The FUD (Fear, Uncertainty, and Dread) of new tech is always a real thing, and to a certain extent, it is perfectly reasonable. especially so in the early stages of development. But ‘The Cloud’ is well past that stage of development. It’s time to start thinking about how to use it to make your lives better.

Yes, it is possible to use iTunes file transfer to share projects between devices. However, doing so is more of a “copy” operation than a “synchronize” operation: you’ll need to keep track of which version is where yourself.

Katherine

In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.

In theory, all of the online storage services use the same backend tools and are fundamentally identical. In practice, Scrivener users report vastly different experiences depending on which service they use. Since most users are not Teradata DBAs with years of experience, we find that making people aware of our experiences with the various services is helpful.

Moreover, as has been discussed elsewhere at great length, some of the differences in “front end software” involve the tools available to developers for the respective platforms, and those differences can be quite substantial indeed. So much so that only Dropbox is supported for synchronization with iOS devices. Whatever the merits of OneDrive as a standalone service, it simply is not an option for that particular use case.

Katherine

@kinsey - Yeah, iTunes can be used to transfer projects between PC and iOS devices. Katherine had mentioned it to the OP in his other post on the iOS forum, so I didn’t bother to mention here again, and also it seemed to me his focus was on using the cloud to accomplish sharing. But that could be me assuming too much!

@stardog2 - Not trying to be argumentative, and I am surely talking a bit above my actual knowledge level—but—-the thing is, while the basic infrastructure of the various cloud services may be similar, there are surely a few practical differences in the client side implementations. At least that I’ve noticed in my own Win7 consumer setup. The DropBox client is always on the job and ready to sync, the OneDrive client not so much—it’s a little sleepy at times, pausing here and there. :slight_smile: Not such a big deal for syncing zipped backups, which is what I use OneDrive for, but a very big deal when it comes to syncing the Scrivener project folder.

I think one big complication when we discuss OneDrive is that there are a number of different flavors, so when one user says, “OneDrive works great for me syncing Scrivener,” maybe they are talking about a different version from the user who says, “OneDrive ate my Scrivener project!!!” And, as krastev pointed out, there are quite a few of the latter on these forums, hence the general tendency to advise folks to be extra careful when using OneDrive or even to advise against using it at all for syncing Scrivener projects.

(I am still of the opinion that people are far too eager to start using cloud services with Scrivener, without understanding the risks and best practices involved. Dropbox, in my experience, works really well for this, but there are also plenty of posts here from folks who broke their projects using Dropbox.)

I emphatically agree with this. In particular, synchronization IS NOT a substitute for a good backup strategy. Instead, if used carelessly, it can turn a local data glitch into a full-fledged data apocalypse.

Katherine

Thanks for the clarification. I was addressing the question in the OP’s topic title, first half of their original post and also adding a little more to JimRac’s advice (though I see he posted it on another thread).