Using Scrivener to Organize notes on wine

Hi all … I’m (also) a writer, using scrivener the usual way.

BUT I’D LIKE help in figuring it out how to organize grapes. I need to organize them by varietal, by aromas, flavors, and what they are similar to. (i.e. if you have two glasses of wine, one is chianti, one is brunello, and how they are alike and different.

I’m thinking
White grapes
(list all white grapes)

Red grapes
(list all red grapes)

The problem started with Chardonnay.
I attempted to add notes of Chardonnay from Burgundy (then I had to create folders for the many appellations then had to create folders for all the different parts of N. California where chard is grown, then new Zealand … so Chardonnay took up way too many folders, and that was just one grape out of 100.

If anyone has any organizational ideas that is great.

Hi, Marisa!

I, too, am new to Scrivener. In fact, I have not yet finished the tutorial. I have not started reading the eBook I bought with the program, but I have started using the program. If you look at my screen name, you might be able to deduce that your post has some secondary interest to me, as well.

I think searches, collections, and search collections are what you would need. Step 13 of the tutorial has a pretty good explanation on how this would work. You would just haphazardly enter the data on each wine as you taste them. Let’s say you taste a 1997 Penfolds Bin 707. You could then perhaps add metadata such as: Grape Variety “cabernet sauvignon;” Category “red;” Country “australia;” Grape Source “blend;” Vintner “penfolds;” Year “1997.” The non-parenthesized words would be metadata fields and the quoted would be the metadata in the field. As shown, the metadata would be objective factual information, and the text would be your subjective impressions. Metadata is covered in the tutorial in Step 5.

This would then allow you to do searches which you could then convert to collections for editing or leave as searches so they auto-update. You could then use the text area of the item for which you just entered the meta-data for your tasting notes or whatever content you would want to include.

I might also suggest an area where you store all of your tasting note vocabulary, so you use exactly the same words or word formatting each time. This way, you don’t end up with “Barn yard” and “barnyard” on different tasting notes. These may look the same to us humans, but computers see a definite difference. One thing I will suggest is that you use no capitals in your notes and that you avoid spaces as much as possible. By following this convention, you are more assured to have fewer mismatches similar to my example above. This will make your searches more accurate.

Good luck on your project! I’d love to see how you end up categorizing your wine notes, as well as your opinions.

Don

PS. I picked the wine above because it was the wine and vintage that got me interested in wines in the first place.

Wino Don thank you very much. Please excuse the delay I was out of town.

Congratulations for working your way through all the tutorials. I have the type of personality that I just open things out of the box and hope I get it right instead of planning more methodically. That said however, I do have every book written on scrivener and have bought the various online tutorials out there and will review them.

You are ideas make a lot of sense. My eyes still glaze over though when it comes to words like metadata data, collections, etc. I know I will need to get there for my novels. And with all my tutorials I’m sure I can figure it out at some point

But your response to me alerted me to a larger issue and that is maybe an old-fashioned note card and rubber band system is best. I am still in the process of using Evernote but not sure if it is working best in this regard, or your idea is better. Either way, in terms of memorizing the specifics of each grape may require something more simple.

In my educational school we don’t really need to know a specific winery, and I don’t really categorize my notes to a specific producer because in my educational school that is dangerous. Chablis 1st cru for example should be memorized for its characteristics, not the producer. We taste all the wines blind and there’s a lot of producer differences so just the basics.

I’ll try to give your system a try – and will report back.