using Scrivener with SimpleNote - where are my scenes?

Hi there!

I have folders in my scrivener book projects with the chapter name and numbers, and then scenes in individual files under them.
Awesome!
But when I sync with Simplenote, especially as I edit and re-edit parts of the book, it becomes increasingly difficult to find which scenes are in which chapters, because the chapter folders are separate from the individual scenes, and the synced file numbers change so dramatically that there’s no sense of order to them except “recently edited”

Now, as a stopgap measure, I’ve stared puttin the chapter numbers on the scenes, but then of course my compiled manuscript looks pretty retarded with numbers before the subchapter headings.

Any thoughts? Any plans for somehow annotating the scenes with the chapter info?

Something I’d considering doing, if you haven’t already, is culling the size of the sync list. Just sync out the stuff you need and leave the option on to delete items on Simplenote if they aren’t on the sync list. This keeps the list of things on the server clean and relevant to what you are working on. Of course, if you tend to work all over the place, this won’t be a feasible alternative.

As long as you are typing in notes to yourself in the document though, you should try using inline annotations instead. :slight_smile: That’s exactly what the feature is for, notes to yourself that you don’t want showing up in the draft. What I would do is put the chapter number at the top on its own line. This way it won’t accidentally get turned into regular text if it is embedded in the first paragraph and that paragraph gets edited.

I was thinking something like this, but then if you strip inline annotations in compile, you end up with an extra blank line at the top of the scene. Is there a way around that? It may not matter much, especially if you use padding or want a space between the title and the body text anyway, and since it’s easy to see when you’re working in Scrivener it’s not much work at the end of the day to delete them all before the final manuscript compile, once you don’t need them for Simplenote anymore.

That’s true; my MMD bias as showing, as it strips out extraneous carriage returns. I can’t think of a way around that. Wrapping the first newline inside the annotation just effectively makes it all act like one paragraph anyway in terms of side-effects. If you edit the first real paragraph, you’ll end up with a ‘]’ in the first line. Ah well, just attaching it to the first paragraph still works, you just have to remember to fix the brackets if the first paragraph gets edited.

Whatever the case, I’d advocate keeping the sync list slim if at all possible, as adding all of those annotations in by hand (and taking them out later if they aren’t annotated) is a lot of manual labour.

What about the scene names in the binder? If your book is like most, individual scenes don’t have visible titles—they aren’t compiled—so thus can be used for author specific info, like the chapter number it came from. This is still a royal pain, it’s not something I would ever do, but if you are going to take the trouble of keying in chapter numbers to each text document, you might as well put it in a spot where it isn’t going to be seen for sure, and one that will show up in SN as well.

Update note to say that the latest beta includes an option for converting bracketed notes to inline annotation when using plain-text syncing, so that should solve the problem above: just use an annotation at the beginning of your scene’s first paragraph to label it as you want. Even if you edit that paragraph in the external editor, if you have that new option selected in the sync settings, when you bring it back into Scrivener the bracketed note will convert automatically to an annotation again and thus can be stripped from the text at compile time. No manual clean up!

Of course as Ioa says, keeping the sync list limited to a collection of what you currently need definitely will help in any case, since you’d still have to look through the files to find what you wanted if you don’t get a first-line preview. Also just putting the info in the title would be easy, but I had assumed you were using those as the “subtitles” when you compiled and wanted to keep them clean.

Are there embed codes we can use for compiling to simplenote/plain text, like there are for compiling a manuscript? That way, I could put a compile code for “binder name” in the compile directions and it would solve my problems.

Of course, I’d love to winnow down my sync selections, but maybe I’m insane, when I’m editing a novel, I really need the whole novel with me. I change a continuity point, and I need to go through and find it all over the place to make sure the change is coherent…