Using Scrivener's Outliner

I’m new to Scrivener and use EccoPro on windows and Omnioutliner on the mac to outline. So I am used to hitting enter to create a new item in the same hierarchy, and tab to make it a child, or shift tab to raise from child to next level up.

But in the binder outline, or in outline mode, I could create a new item at the same level, but can’t find in manual or by trial and error how to make an item a child or raise a level.

I’m sure it is simple, not obvious to me though.

The outlining shortcuts for moving items are located in the Documents/Move/ sub-menu. These word directionally on the Corkboard, and in an outline they indent, outdent and move the item up/down among its siblings.

Thanks - I figured it was something simple I couldn’t find.

I love Seattle, but never made it down to Portland, unfortunately, from what I am told.

No problem. I forgot to mention that there is a collection of tips for outlining, in §8.3 of the user manual (pg. 78 on). It is introduced under the general Binder introduction chapter since it is just as much an outliner as the Outliner view (granted simplified to titles alone, but no less capable of keyboard control).

Seattle’s a great place. I used to live there and only moved away out of necessity. :slight_smile:

If I didn’t live in Seattle and couldn’t move back to Bend/Sisters where I grew up, Portland would be my next choice. (Denver my third, but damn, they have real winters there.) Portland’s downtown has a bit nicer feel to it – more room, less landfill, and the conflux of rivers is awesome. On the other hand, Seattle has the Puget Sound and the Seattle Sounders. Tough choice.