Using the Corkboard With Nonfiction template?

Hi! I just downloaded the free version, Day 1 … I am typing my handwritten first draft of my memoir and I chose the nonfiction template to start. Will the corkboard feature work with this or do I have to keep everything organized with the chapters, subchapters etc? I know I need to do alot of reorganizing which is why I was looking at scrivener for that awesome looking corkboard! Now I have typed a few paragraphs under a chapter subtitle but when I click on Corkboard it just says First Draft, not the title I gave my chapter. HELP!! And thanks! I am really wanting to have this be the answer to all my handwritten writings all over the place!

1 Like

Thinking of it as an outline:
top level: Let’s say you have sections 1-6
2nd level: Within the sections you have chapters: 1-20
3rd level: Within the chapters you have units: 1-xx

If you point to the top menu (draft) in the binder, you’ll see the 6 sections in the corkboard.
If you point to a section in the binder, you’ll see the chapters within that section.
If you point to the lowest level of a chapter, you’ll see nothing

But if you break that lowest level down into 5 things you want to do in that chapter, then those 5 things will appear in the corkboard.

Also, you can drag anything from the corkboard into a place in the binder. So, if you were looking at something in section 5 chapter 4 that would go better in Chapter 3 of section 2, then drag it into that spot in the binder.

1 Like

Well I would say it depends on what phase of the project you feel your work is at. When I’m at the part you’re talking about, where I’m gathering handwritten notes, transcribing them into Scrivener or importing them from text files, I’m not really thinking too much about chapters and sections yet. I’m thinking topically. I want to get things together and then as I do that, and as I rewrite and combine and split ideas based on my loose thoughts, then I start to feel a structure from that emerge. As that happens I start naturally using the software’s tools to form attempts at this structure. I don’t put too much importance on getting things right initially. It’s all flexible—what was nested under something as a subsubsection might some day end up being moved up to a chapter role, and in fact even contain within it what was once its containing chapter, which is now a section.

Scrivener lets you think out loud like that precisely because it isn’t forcing you into thinking in terms of formal structure during this phase of the project. If you’d prefer to use the corkboard to gather your thoughts in a topical fashion, then by all means do so. We provide a set of basic tools, but how you use them is up to you.

Starting with a template is perhaps a little misleading because those do suggest a certain rigid approach to structural outlining in their examples. It’s a bit of a necessity to do so, because a big part of what a template is, in this software, is a way of combining some prefabricated compile settings to a particular outlining approach. It’s the kind of thing you’ll probably eventually want to put some time into doing—if your work hasn’t naturally trended toward a chapter/section/subsection sort of structure on its own (it does for me, no matter how chaotically it starts)—but you definitely do not have to start that way.

There is no such thing as a chapter in Scrivener. Really. Once you see that, and recognise the the template merely has a folder that we typed the word “Chapter” into, and that that is the beginning and the end of what “Chapter” means, then you can discard all of it and use folders and files (and file groups if you want!) however you please.

As to that specifically, if you haven’t already gone through the interactive tutorial (from the Help menu) it might be a good idea to skim through some of the introductory sections on how the corkboard works. The description above is good though: when you click a thing in the binder the corkboard is presented from the perspective of that thing down into the outline that is nested beneath it. You don’t see the thing you clicked on directly, you see its child items.

In that sense you can think of it a bit like double-clicking on a folder in Windows File Explorer. You don’t see the folder anywhere—you see icons for the files inside that folder. The corkboard is pretty much that—the “icons” just happen to look and act like index cards.