Using the "Novel w/ parts" format - can you compile those parts separately?

I write fiction in serial and publish them as zines.

I could just use short stories but it might be annoying transferring the weight of documents from one file to the next.

I want to know the best way to keep that serial story with all research in one file, but compile them one at a time.

So my question is can I use a novel with parts and compile one part at a time and have it come out formatted correctly?

I’ve not compiled anything so far, so I’m unfamiliar.

Thanks for any help given.

You can compile any selection of items from your Binder that you want, with whatever Compile settings you want.

So the short answer to your question is yes. But why Novel with Parts? You can put more than one short story in a project created from the short story template. You could use the Blank template, which is what I generally do.

If you haven’t already, I’d recommend taking a look at our Interactive Tutorial, available from the Help menu. Scrivener is rather different from conventional word processors, so your assumptions about what is possible are probably not accurate.

Just to clarify. You mean which of these:

1. There is a way to select pieces of the project in the Binder pane and compile them from there (I don’t see a context menu element that would do it, but I’d me very happy if there was one)
  2. User can use File → Compile and pick in there the parts of their contents they wish to compile (which is the known functionality)

I’m not the OP, but I did have to compile my novel parts separately (for review purposes) and I’d wish for a more convenient way to do this than File, Compile, uncheck documents, check other documents…

Both.

For 1, you can’t Compile direct from a context menu, but you can select the items you want in the Binder and then choose “Current Selection” in the Contents pane of the Compile command. Or you could put the documents you want in a Collection. See Section 23.4.1 in the (Mac) manual for more details.

1 Like

An approach I often use for projects which are only going to be compiled by parts is to do my writing in a custom top-level folder and leave the Draft folder empty. Then when I want to compile a part, I drag it’s subfolder out of my working folder and drop it into the Draft folder and Compile.

Probably not a better approach than just using compile Current Selection, but just to say there are multiple ways to achieve the desired end.

gr