Using the templates

I beg your forgiveness for asking a question that may be already answered. I am in a mountain cottage with extremely limited evening access to the net, and slooooowwww, and can’t spare any internet time searching for an answer. Only email works efficiently up here.

Can I convert a .scriv project that was not created with one of the newer templates to one of those newer templates? (I want to use one of the non-fiction templates.) Is this possible? Or do I have to create a new project with the template and spend hours moving things over?

Thank you for any direction on this. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
AJ

There isn’t a way to “convert” a project to a template—templates in Scrivener are not like in Word where they are things you apply to a document. In Scrivener they are the project, everything about it from the files in the Binder to the compile settings to the labels and keywords. Thus, converting a project to a template would be most destructive. :slight_smile:

The good news is that (a) there is little reason to actually do this. Since a template is mainly just a few example files and folders in the Binder, you can just make those yourself in a few minutes—or make an template and drag them over to your project. If you want the compile settings, most often you’ll find they already exist as a “Format As” preset, but if not you can always make a preset using the template and then apply them to your main project that way. (B) if you really do want to make a new template and move your project into it, rather than just copying whatever you like out of it, it most certainly shouldn’t take hours—unless you have hundreds of gigabytes of research PDFs or something. :slight_smile: Just open both at once and drag your files over from one Binder to another. It shouldn’t take but a few minutes at worst, seconds for large projects, and be instantaneous in many cases.

But really, to be clear, I wouldn’t recommend that route unless there is a very compelling reason to do so. Picking over the template for bits you like, and copying those techniques or even dragging them into your project, is going to be the best approach.

Thank you, Amber. I have time galore up here in the mountains to do this. Wine helps and offers an afternoon excuse. :wink: OK. I get it.

Thank you,
AJ