Using two panes in full screen mode

I have a 27" iMac and consequently like to work with two panes on the screen, as Mellel has long done and can now be seen in this Word screenshot:

Word_Two_Panes.png

I’ve figured out how to create a vertical split screen in Scrivener:

Scrivener_Split_Screen.png

But I can’t figure out how to get the fullscreen mode to give me two panes, a la Word / Mellel:

Scrivener_full_screen.png

Does anyone know if there’s a way to accomplish this?

Thanks in advance for any help / thoughts.

There’s no split mode in the actual full screen, but there are a couple ways I can think of to get something similar. First, if the point is just accessing material, you can open other documents in a Quick Reference window while in full screen. You can resize these to make use of your screen real estate, and of course they’re editable so in some sense you could create a split-screen look. The menu at the bottom of full screen allows you to shift the paper to the right, center, or left, so you could put it on one side and then fill up the other side with the QR window.

The other option is to use a setup as you show in your screenshot–instead of using full screen, just max out the Scrivener main window, using a split editor. Hide the binder, inspector, headers, footers, rulers, format bar, and toolbar. You can save layouts (View>Layouts>Show Layouts to bring up the manager) so you can save a “regular” mode and then this pseudo full-screen split, making it easy to switch modes.

EDIT: Actually, looking at this again, I think I missed the point of what you want to do. The split screen in Scrivener shows two different documents, usually–you can set it to show the same, and thus scroll to different places in it, but you don’t flow from one side of the split to the other when writing, which I think is probably what you’re describing in Word. To do that, try the second set up I suggested but instead of using a split, have only one editor open but switch it to Page View and then set your page view to use two pages across. You can adjust the size in Preferences under the lower half of the “Editor” pane. (Page View and the other layout options I mentioned are all under the View menu; format bar and ruler are under Format.)

Nuts. Thanks for letting me know. I’ve been learning how to use Scrivener, which has proven something of a challenge – not so much because the program is hard to use as because it has, like Emacs, so many options. Using it effectively becomes a job in and of itself. I don’t think there’s an easy way to avoid this learning curve, but I’m definitely on it.

Just so I’m clear, you really can get a pretty awesome full screen look the way I described. This is a capture of my whole screen with Scrivener set up this way (and hiding the OS menu bar, although it hardly adds much more to the top if you don’t do that–it’s not a Scrivener feature, but it’s something you could do if you wanted to go all-out):pseudo full screen.png

Basically to do this, I’d first suggest opening the Layout Manager via View>Layout>Show Layouts and saving your current layout, just to make it easy to return to.

Then in the View>Layout menu, choose Hide Header, Hide Footer, Hide Inspector, Hide Binder (you may want to save this for last, since the binder is the easiest way to navigate documents, although you can use the View>Go To menu and keyboard shortcuts as well; also the shortcut for hiding/showing the binder makes it easy to pop it open, switch documents, and close it again).

In Format, choose Hide Ruler and Hide Format Bar.

Have just one editor open (no split) and in View>Page View choose Show Page View and Two Pages Across.

If you like, in Preferences:Appearance, under Customizable Colors set Editor>Page Background to black (but obviously you can choose any color or texture). In Preferences:Editor, at the bottom under Wrap to Page Mode, select the box to “center pages.”

In View, choose Hide Toolbar (or use the ellipsoid “hide toolbar” button in the top right of the window).

Choose Window>Zoom to Fit Screen, and voila!

Use the Layout Manager to save this layout, and you’ll be able to easily toggle into and out of it. You can even assign your layouts keyboard shortcuts via the OS system preferences to make this as simple as entering traditional full screen.

So. I hope that wasn’t too drawn-out, but I thought it might help to explain it a little better, since you sound like you’re hitting a bit of a hill in your Scrivener learning. The nice thing with Scrivener really is that for the most part, though there are tons of options, you can still just sit down and start writing. But obviously if you have something specific in mind that you want to achieve, figuring out how to do that straight away can be rough. Hopefully the tutorial, manual, and the forums will help you get going!

MM

P.S. You can use Preferences Page Size instead of Printed and adjust the page width for the page view in the Editor preferences, if you don’t want as much right and left black space as you see in my screenshot.

Hi. This is a great hint, but how do you get the gap around the top and bottom of the pages? I’ve followed the instructions and my pages butt up against the top and bottom of the Scrivener window. Thanks…

The first and last pages always touch the edges when there’s more than one two-panel sheet showing; I don’t think there’s a way around that though I could be wrong. But you can adjust the spacing between each set of two pages in the Editor tab of the Preferences, and with a large enough number, depending on your set page height, you can space this so you can center the pages and have just the background color showing at the top and bottom. Sorry the picture is a little misleading in that respect; I wasn’t thinking about it and was just capturing a piece with some full text.

Also now I’m looking at it I see that I said you could adjust the margins to change the spacing, and I really meant adjust the page width. Whoops. Corrected. So my shot was using the page view with printed page size, but you can choose in View>Page View to Use Preferences Page Size, and you can then set that in the same Editor pane of Preferences, giving yourself a wider page if you want less of the background on either side (and in that case, you can also use the right and left margins to keep the actual text column from getting too wide.