v.1.7.1: zipped backups missing

After dowloading v.1.7.1, I tried to find and open some zipped backups but couldn’t. I have since changed to the ‘unzipped’ option but have no access to the backups I urgently need to restore.

Have you tried using the Windows search to look for the backups? Scrivener doesn’t touch the project files or backups during the installation or uninstallation, so these shouldn’t have moved, but perhaps the location in the Backup options changed after you installed 1.7.1 (this would have reset to the default location if you had uninstalled the previous version before installing 1.6.1). If you were saving to an external drive, make sure that’s accessible.

Remember also that by default Scrivener keeps only the last 5 backups, so if you opened and closed the same project several times the oldest may be gone…

• I couldn’t find anything via the Windows search.
  • I didn’t uninstall before installing v.1.7.1
  • I’m not using an external drive
  • I have now changed my Options to ‘save the last 25 backups’ (unzipped) but perhaps it is too late for what I’m looking for. I could possibly download them from Mozy but it is a terrible performance.

[ThinkPad T500: Win 7 Pro SP1 32-bit]

Going back to my original problem: ‘I tried to find and open some zipped backups but couldn’t’:

• in fact, I did find a few zipped backup files but couldn’t open them (via 7-zip) - there seemed to be up to 48 ‘errors’ - so I imagine those backups are lost which is very upsetting. Presumably, if I can’t open them, there’s no point in trying to redownload them from Mozy.

Try WinRAR, I read somewhere that 7z has some issues with Scrivener backups.

Yeah, 7-zip and Scrivener don’t get along for some reason.

Try Right Clicking on the zip | Open With | Windows Explorer, then you should be able to just drag the .scriv folder out to your desktop or somewhere.

I have installed WinRAR: it seems to work well but I haven’t yet found the file I was looking for. It may well have gone by now. Many thanks for the recommendation.

[Quote]
‘Try Right Clicking on the zip | Open With | Windows Explorer, then you should be able to just drag the .scriv folder out to your desktop or somewhere.’

• I’ll try that; less complicated than what I was trying to do.

Am I now safe to revert to ‘zipped’ files as I am short of space? What do most people do?

You should be safe. 7-zip was probably the cause of your issue all along–it’s got some fatal flaw that doesn’t deal well with some zip compression implementations. Modern windows machines come with the ability to zip & unzip files & folders, so there’s really no need for these utilities unless you need their extended feature sets or usability enhancements.

Did you try searching your entire C: drive for files ending in ‘.zip’?