Variation to how Subsitutions Works

Just started playing with Scrivener. As a fantasy writer, I rely very heavily on the auto-correct feature, that replaces your chosen letters (ex. tr) with a longer word (ex. The Researcher). I found the “Substitutions” feature, which I’m glad exists.

However, I noticed Scrivener replaces those letters (ex. tr) WHENEVER they are typed, versus if they are stand alone. I would love if Scrivener did replacements like Word. (ex. So tr [space] would become The Researcher, versus in scrivener “sTReet” becomes “sThe Researchereet”).

I don’t know if I am missing a setting, but I would love this alternate Substitutions option.
PS. I use PC.

Thanks.
:smiley:

I would try using the project auto-complete system as well. You can get there from the Project/Auto-Complete List… menu command. The advantages are that it only triggers when you start typing in a word found in the list, and offers it as a suggestion instead of just immediately replacing the text. Further, you can easily append text to the list by selecting it, and choosing “Add Selection to Auto-Complete List” from the right-click menu. Lastly, these are project specific, so the fantasy nouns from one novel won’t get injected into the blog article you’re trying to write. :slight_smile:

That said, I use a global substitution engine that works much like our system does in Scrivener. In fact anywhere I type on my computer these things can run. So what I do is use a system of symbols and text in combination. For example with URLs, I start with a dot and end with a slash. The stuff in between identifies the URL. “.lnl/” prints “http://www.literatureandlatte.com/”, and “.kb-cloud/” print “https://scrivener.tenderapp.com/help/kb/cloud-syncing/using-scrivener-with-cloud-sync-services”. Those particular strings of characters are never going to appear in natural writing, so I never end up with URLs jammed up in what I’m writing (unless I want it!). So in your case you could try something like “%tr”. You’re never going to type that in ordinarily, so it could only mean one thing when you do, “The Researchers”.