Various suggestions

[these were typed conviniently using scratchpad. if you want me to be less consise with these, let me know. and this is based on over 2 weeks extensive use of this software] :slight_smile:

when locking an editor, also colour the footer bar and also allow clicking on it to switch [so you can tell it’s locked if you choose to hide the header bar]
^
allow “convert to uppercase/lowercase” shortcut
^
don’t go to corkboad view if you want to open a file(converted to)/folder that contains only text within itself [otherwise resulting in a blank corkboard… d’oh]
^
when splitscreen, always show which view the unselected editor is using (in order to save confusion as to why it’s not behaving the way you thought it would) ('cos let’s be honest, this does get confusing!) [maybe as an icon in the footer bar?]
^
be able to reverse-order a selection [e.g. for exporting]
^
export filename with ‘[]’ and ‘,’ and ‘.’ characters like you can in a normal Windows file, and be able choose a default directory (per folder/section selection e.g. ‘research’) and option not to export files into/as a new folder but just the files
^
remember last used export format upon program startup [always default to .rtf]
^
option to export with synopsis appended to selected folder names [for tidiness]
^
when deactivating splitscreen, don’t change the last closed screen or its locked status upon reactivating splitscreen [shutting down and re-opening Scrivener doesn’t always seem to remember last positions (even when locked)]
^
when in splitscreen, switch editor upon hitting back/forward button in unselected editor
^
in search results, allow “go to next/previous document” to switch between results
^
allow export to unicode [for em-dashes and other special characters to show in other text readers, as utf-8 replaces é and ≡ (for example) with code (at least it does in my MP3 players text editor)] [and also, exporting to plain text shows no line breaks in Notepad, yet when you preview it it shows fine? It also displays fine in my MP3 player so no qualms there. Just thought this feature was broken to begin with!]
^
option to remove all text of a specific format within a document, e.g. ‘tin’ coloured text
^
and option to remove or change the colour of the fugly distracting annotation/footnote text bubbles?? [though I have found a way around this by highlighting the footnoted text in white (invisible to the background). The odd marking defect shows at every end of line but it’s far less distracting at least.]
^
reveal all text of a specified format [e.g. search for all ‘red’ text]
^
ability to “magically” remove/re-add footnotes/annotations amongst text using a shortcut [instead of having to do ‘copy special’] [ghost-notes is a good temporary solution but it leaves many blanks and hidden misspelled words.]
^
allow ‘enter’ in corkboard to go to selection, not create new folder

That’s it for now… my 2 cents. Will be buying this software, it’s just what I needed, thanks!

Just a couple of comments:

That would be inconsistent, and also, there’s nothing wrong with having a blank corkboard - it allows you to add items and drag things into it.

I’m not sure what’s confusing here - I’m not sure I follow.

This should indeed be done (it is on the Mac version).

If you mean change the focus, that would be incredibly annoying - if I’m typing in the bottom editor and hit the back/forward button in the top editor to change the document I’m referring to, I really wouldn’t want the focus to change to the top editor at all. For instance, I could be typing in the bottom editor, hit the keyboard shortcut to go back in the other editor, and carry on typing - if I understand your suggestion, then my typing would end up in the top editor and I’d end up swearing. :slight_smile:

Yes, this should happen - this is how it behaves in the Mac version, so if Go To > Next/Previous Document doesn’t respect the search results list in the Windows version, then that is a bug.

You can alter the navigation options in Tools > Options.

Thanks! (I’m technically on holiday so apologies for not addressing everything yet.)

All the best,
Keith

I second the option to remove text of a particular formatting (or some way to comment out some material). I am developing lecture materials for several levels of classes and it would be greatly helpful to be able to selectively exclude more advanced information so that I can work from a single file rather than multiples.

Create a project for your work.

Create separate folders for each section or topic.

Create separate documents within each folder for different-level material.

Use compile (Collections) to select appropriate-level material into one location.

In effect, use document selection to segregate the material.

ps

Few more…

suggestion: ‘kamikaze’ mode: one shortcut to hide binder, inspector, header and footer bars, tool and format bars all-in-one (so disguised as a notepad, basically). [would be useful for side-by-side program editing without relying on cluttered full-screen, e.g. in W7 you can snap windows to the left or right of screen: think a bare Scrivener being on left and web browser to the right.]
^
a ‘random doc.’ button for research folder [for inspiration! Rather than manually selecting any file, which myself I find to be a tad intimidating amongst my plethora of 300 documents! Where do I start!]
^
option to export pre-selected folders/files upon exit or after a certain time e.g. after 5hrs worth of edits [reason because I find myself exporting far less since it’s manualised, and my MP3 player now often goes without updated text… poor thing.]
^
a measurement to avoid loading mass amounts of text at once in the editor [in my research folder everything combined weighs in at 130,000+ characters… painful when you have to wait about a minute for it all to show, often unintentionally! Solution could be to never go to editor view upon selecting research or draft folder? Saying that, even going to corkboard view takes a similar amount of time upon first selection.]
^
an ‘up-directory’ button [a standard in Windows. I find the only instance of this is available upon double-clicking empty space of the corkboard. What about when we’re in editor view? Feasable solution would be to jump to the very folder/group the file’s contained in. This will avoid having to skip through many files via ‘go to next/previous doc.’]
^
an internal timeline that lists your latest modifications [not that important, but nice to have a breakdown of what files you’ve updated in the last several days. Could also serve as a to-do list?]

also as for the OP, pressing ‘enter’ in corkboard view: I don’t think the option’s been implemented in the Windows version yet for it to access any directory (as opposed to creating a new file). Checked in the options too. Cheers, and looking forward to some updates for us less fortunate Windows users… software has now been purchased!

Step 1: Ctl-shift-i, ctl-shift-b, alt-up, alt-down, alt-left, alt-right to get rid of Inspector, Binder, Header, Footer, Main toolbar and Formatting toolbar. (These are all toggles – just repeat to get them back again.)

Step 2: View > Layout and tick ‘Manage Layouts’ to get the Layouts dialogue box.

Step 3: If you haven’t already created one, overwrite the default entry with a meaningful name (e.g. ‘Kamikaze’), otherwise just create a new entry.

Step 4: Now, whenever you feel the need to go naked… choose View > Layout > Kamikaze.

After you’ve set it up, you only ever need to do step 4. You can also export this layout and reuse it if you wish.

(On the Mac, you can also give Kamikaze a shortcut – hopefully that will come to the Windows version soon…)

View > Outline > Previous Container or ctl-shift-up – doesn’t that work?

You can see modification date in outlines – View > Outliner Columns > Modified Date. Unfortunately you can’t sort by columns yet (even on the Mac…)

Hope these help

David

1st. thanks, don’t know why I didn’t think of this before!
2nd. ctrl+shift+up just highlights text. alt+left/right switches between splits, and alt+up/down scrolls between splits… view > outline options were greyed out.
3rd. ah yes, outliner view. I do forget about this one because on the Windows version the outliner settings often reset themselves, so I don’t bother with this anymore…

Seriously needs updating, it’s been since last year. :neutral_face: Anyone else gonna join Lee so we can have speedier fixes?

That’s funny – I’m sure those are the shortcuts that work for me… But I don’t have windows available at the moment (my laptop doesn’t have parallels…) so I can’t check… I will, though, and let you know.

Thanks for the suggestions, but the variation in the material is too frequent for this approach to work (e.g. often just a few sentences at a time). Your suggestion would still work, but it would require hundreds of documents, sometimes of just a few lines. Thanks though!

What’s your use case? For this amount of material, it’s possible that you would be happier with a different tool.

Katherine