Vector Graphics Flow charts/Mind maps etc/Maps

I really like the way I can bring all my research etc together in one Scrivener project.

The one thing it doesn’t do is vector graphics - I would love to be able to handle things like mind maps, flow charts, and actual maps within Scrivener, either directly, or through integration with 3rd party software…

One thing we’re going to be working on supporting is import and export of OPML files, which is a somewhat standard format for translating hierarchies between software like mindmaps and outliners. You could export your draft as an OPML outline, import it into a mapping program that supports OPML, and go from there—even come back if you wanted.

It’s more to do with embedding working diagrams and maps, e.g.

Best way is to do what you just did right there in getting this information embedded into the Internet. Export as an image (or PDF to retain vector) and then import into Scrivener so you can view it as research material.

Yes, but these things are dynamic and iterative.

Suppose, as I tell the story, I want to add new connections?

How about being able to embed objects from other applications, e.g. like you can embed a Visio diagram in MS Word?

I’m pretty sure that would be quite difficult with the toolkit we are using. MS Word has a rather distinctive advantage in that Visio comes from the same department of the same company, and the whole Office system is wired to allow one to embed bits from one Office component into another. Such is not so simple for third-parties, and doubly so for third-parties using their own toolkits.

It is not a problem to embed a Visio file in the binder as a research document, and then opening it and editing and interfacing with it using Visio. The problem comes in displaying it. To display a Visio file, one must write an at least simplified parser for the format. That would be a complex scenario, especially for a program that isn’t touting itself as a diagramming software. If Scrivener were for making diagrams, then yes it would be reasonable to spend time creating import/export capability for Visio and other common formats.

So while it is not as nice as having it in a split, given that having it in a split would be unreasonably complicated to provide, putting Scrivener on one side of the screen and Visio on another is going to be a much simpler solution. Whether you store the diagram in the project binder is up to taste. I like to put supporting files like that in the binder, myself. It keeps things tidy.

Actually, it doesn’t have to be embedded.

How about, instead one or both of
-binder entries that are just hyperlinks to external resources.
-ability to store 3rd party files inside the project

So, I have my diagram in say - Visio. It lives with the rest of my Scrivener files, so gets backed up and moves around with the rest of the draft. There’s an entry for it on my binder. If I double click it, the file opens in Visio.

Yes, that is what I was recommending in the prior post. Just drag your Visio file into the Binder. It becomes an entry in your outline. You can label it, write an index card for it, give it keywords, everything except view it and edit it obvious. To do that, hit Ctrl-F5 to open it in its native external editor. You can throw just about anything into the project binder. If you don’t want to actually import it, and leave it out in the main documents area so that it is accessible to other software, then use References in the Inspector, instead.