Version 2.7 - The New Icons

I upgraded to version 2.7 of Scrivener this morning and find that I miss the old icons more than I expected. The old version felt warmer and friendlier and this one seems colder and more sterile.

That said, if new icons mean that we are somehow closer to an iOS version of Scrivener, then don’t let me stand in the way of progress.

Nonetheless, a 21-gun salute for the old icons. I will miss them. :cry:

We’ve had overwhelmingly positive feedback about the new icons, but inevitably there have been a handful such as your good self who do not like them. It’s just inevitable with icons and aesthetics in general, I’m afraid - some people will like the changes you make, others won’t, and all you can do is hope that more people like them than don’t (many people hated the 2.0 icons when we first introduced them, for instance).

The icons will be changing again some time next year, so fingers crossed you’ll like the next set. :slight_smile:

All the best,
Keith

I have two complaints about the new icons:

They are too wide.
They are visually not as clear as the old buttons. If you are going to make them that wide, please make the picture portion bigger or at least increase contrast.

Please see the Pages icons. Scrivener uses the standard size and layout for icons on modern versions of OS X. Also, we like them as they are. :slight_smile:

All the best,
Keith

Pages? We don’t need no stinking Pages!

We got Scrivener.

Why would we want CrApple’s excuse for a word processor? :smiling_imp: Buwahahahahahaha!

Mrs Pigfender made me throw out my jumper a couple of weeks ago, because it had a hole in it. I’ve had this jumper since 2006. It was a lovely green and grey striped thing from DKNY. I’ll have to get another one now, I suppose, but it won’t be the same.

[/parable]
also
[/truestory]

This might be intentional, but I’ll mention it in case it’s an oversight - the Preferences window still uses the old icons.

Not a huge deal, but now there’s two different icons for Compose, which might be confusing for some.

It’s not an oversight exactly, but it’s a good point. The truth is, the past two years have been spent working on a much bigger update that still won’t be ready for a little while, but in the meantime, 2.x was looking hoary on modern versions of OS X, so we decided to give it a bit of a facelift in the main areas so that users don’t think Scrivener is dated in the meantime. The bigger facelift is coming with that bigger update that is still in progress…

The new icons will likely grown on me, and since they look like Apple’s current stuff, it will help Scrivener feel up-to-date, which is good. Not a fan of iOS’s stark white UI, and Mac’s greyscale icons, but Scrivener’s update tickles my “shiny and new” dopamine rush, so I’m happy. Plus, I’m liking the new editor footer in outline & cork board modes; those ‘new item’ icons weren’t there before, where they? The “open in other editor” icon is also a nice improvement.

Okay, you want it to look (shudder, cringe) like the “modern” OS. At least, don’t follow CrApple’s policy of deleting functionality for eye candy and entertainment. A computer is a tool, not a toy. Big Gray (formerly Big Red) has forgotten the old maxim: If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

The new item icons have been in the corkboard and outliner footer all this while, but perhaps without the | dividers of the old style they’re more evident now? :slight_smile:

For those who aren’t a fan of the main toolbar icons for whatever reason, remember you can choose to just use a text label and no icon, or hide the main toolbar entirely and stick with menus and keyboard shortcuts. Right-click the toolbar for those options.

Our policy has always been to fit in with standard OS X icons - the previous set were based largely on the Pages '09 set. We don’t remove functionality like Pages did, but we do try to be consistent with modern design standards - we’ve just been behind for a while.

In my opinion, the new icons as such are very well designed. But I think Triarius has a point when he says that the old icons were visually more clear than the new ones. That’s something that seems difficult to deny.

Most developers are (comparatively) young, and have sharp eyes. And they don’t always realize that what’s perfectly clear for their eyes, may be not perfectly clear for the eyes of those who are fifty or older.

And among the Scrivener population (and perhaps especially among the academic users of Scrivener) there might be quite some people who are not so young anymore. So perhaps that’s something to take into consideration for the new set of icons to be developed for version 3.

Yes, I am indeed an old curmudgeon, and while my eyes are in very good shape for my age, they aren’t what they used to be even ten years ago. Presbyopia is part of being human, and if you live to ~50, you’ll have it, and it will get worse. I have a special pair of glasses I use for the computer and close work. This is everyone’s future.

Yuh bin wharn’d, pilgrims! <Slaps his skunk-skin cap, straightens his buckskins, and walks off muttering into his beard.>

Okay, I’m a recovering materials scientist with way too much experience with “modern design standards” in architecture. For me, that phrase is a “button”—it too often means “function follows form.” Ultimately, it leads to disaster, regardless of who’s doing it, or what they are building. That’s the reason I now put “Cr” in front of Apple. They used to make very fine tools, the best in the industry. Now they make expensive toys. Good toys, but toys nonetheless. They have forgotten that “new” and “different” are not necessarily better.

In the Scrivener developers, I may be ranting to the choir. I certainly hope so. I consider Scrivener to be proof that “God loves writers and authors and wants them to be happy—or at least productive.” 8) It may not be perfect, but neither is beer …

So I’ll continue to rail against the fall of night. Literature-and-Latte is, in the corporate world, a dinosaur: motivated not solely by profit, but by the quality of their product. How very unfashionable. :mrgreen:

I hope you stay that way. Apple has not.

Guys, I’m hardly a whippersnapper with perfect eyesight and an eye for the, er, “trendy”; I’m a balding 42-year old. :slight_smile: My philosophy of design is simply this: I have no interest in making Scrivener into something that forges the way in new design standards, because in more interested in how it works and what it does. So I simply work hard to make Scrivener work well, and we try to make it fit the most recent design standards on each platform (though sometimes we’re behind) so it doesn’t look out of place. But we hire a very good icon designer to make that happen. It’s fair enough if you don’t like those latest design standards, but the fact is, especially with Apple, most users do (so the overwhelming feedback for the new icons has been positive). Chances are, in a couple of years, the sort of icons you like will be back in fashion agsin. :slight_smile: But when it comes to icons, we follow the trends rather than try to buck them, sorry!

Crimminy, kid, you ain’t hardly been, yet! :laughing:

Hang on to that philosophy—like it was your only tether to the International Space Station and your oxygen is low.

“Behind” is a good thing. Ask any fighter pilot.

As elections show, “most users” are not the brightest, and absolutely not the wisest, bulbs in the string.

All I, and possibly we, ask is that you consider bucking the trends before you follow them. We understand and appreciate the considerations involved. A Scrivener with bad icons is better than no Scrivener at all. After all, how many of us use them all the time? You have to take one hand away from the keyboard to click on an icon or menu item. The mouse is a wonderful, useful crittur, but it interferes with writing words-in-a-row. One of the wonderful things about Scrivener is that it can be customized, especially keyboard commands. Indeed, for me at least, most icons are merely indicators, showing by their highlight that the command is engaged or not.

As long as you think about the trend before you follow it, we may still have a beef—but it will be veal, not 750 pounds of angry pot roast (with a nod to Tom Lehrer, who coined that phrase.)

My 73-year-old post cataract surgery eyes wish I had the option to make the icons about 25% bigger. The screen fonts and icons on OS X tend to be on the small side for older eyes. I run the composition window at 175%, and an 18 point font in the binder.

That said, Scrivener on the Mac is so much better than the Windows version I bought this iMac so I could run it.

Fitch,

Maybe you already know this, but you can magnify the screen with a simple key combination (it is Ctrl-slide up/down on the trackpad here). You can set this feature in the Accessibility system preference. Working in the magnified screen is as working in the regular mode, with no aliasing effects.

Paolo

I actually rather like the new icons! :slight_smile: Even with my old eyes. 8)