Version 3: Curly quotes follow Scrivener's UI language, not system settings

Hi,

Just installed version 3 — love what I’ve seen so far — really looking forward to mastering what will surely be a new workflow with bookmarks and all!

BUT unfortunately, I seem to have run into a small but important problem:

I am Swedish, but have set the Scrivener UI to English (I have to admit I’m not too happy about the Swedish translation, but that’s for another post.).

However, and even though my MacOS system language is Swedish, setting the Scrivener IU to English makes Scrivener convert “straight quotes” to “English curly quotes” (i.e. the first pair being curled in the opposite fashion to the last pair) instead of the correct Swedish way where both the opening and closing quotes are the same.

While the manual says that curly quotes will be substituted based on my system preferences (pg 780) this seems not to work: preferences ARE indeed set to the what I want, the Swedish way.

EDITED TO ADD: Changing the UI back to Swedish helps, and “straight quotes” are substituted with ”the correct curly quotes” again. So as far as I can tell Scrivener doesn’t look in the system preferences as it should — but instead uses the language of its UI to determine the shape of quotation marks.

Please help — really need to having this happen on every new piece of dialog is quite frustrating.
Thanks — and again, thanks for a beautiful-looking upgrade!

/Latte.

Sorry for bumping this, but since my original question has scrolled off the page without answer, I would like to try and ask it again in fewer words…:

Is there a way to keep Scrivener’s UI in its original language, but still have it autocorrect curly quotes into what I set in System Settings?

The way I interpret the manual this should in fact be the case, but on my setup (MacOs in Swedish, with curly quotes all looking like commas in the system settings) Scrivener will change opening curly quotes to “up-side-down commas” if Scrivener’s own UI is English.

Thanks,

Latte.

As a Swede I agree that the Swedish translation is not always to my liking. Then again, it will never be to everyone. Also, new terminology will always be a bit confusing, especially if you daily and for years worked with the English concepts and definitions. But, that said, the Swedish UI is perfectly useful once you get used to it. Why not use it, if that would solve your problems?

I am, right now. But would rather not.

Again, this is not the place to reprimand anyone for their translation choices. But a problem that will persist no matter how perfect a translation turns out, is the problem with looking for help on a command in the manual — or, conversely, trying to follow the manual’s instructions on how to achieve a certain purpose.

So as long as the manual and tutorial files aren’t translated too, I see no purpose in using Swedish for menus and dialogs. Having the terms of the UI differ from the terms in the manual is decidedly less than helpful for me.

Back to my question: Am I experiencing a bug here, or am I simply doing things wrong?
Follow-up question: Were I to create a document in another language (English, most likely), would I then have to reset the Scrivener UI to the language of the text I intend to write, for Scrivener to auto-correct things according to the rules of that language?

/Latte.

Valid point!

Mats