Vertical centering of a small paragraph on a page

Hello.

I am getting ready to have my book published in epub and PDF, and there are a few pages that contain only one paragraph. Is there any way to have a paragraph automatically centered vertically on the page?

Many thanks,
Pierre

I created an “epigraph” section type for this purpose and assign it to such documents. And then I mapped this section type to a corresponding “epigraph” style in my compile formats. There may be better ways, but that’s how I like it.

A dedication in the Front Matter of a book is usually created with extra returns in the document and compiling it “As-is”.

Thank you, November_Sierra. I will give this a try.
Pierre

1 Like

Thanks, AntoniDol. This is how I did it. It works OK but I was just wondering if there was a way to make it more automatic.
Pierre

I wonder does that “epigraph” section format literally do vertical centering? Or is it instead doing something like automating things by prefixing a fixed number of carriage returns?

A perfectly general solution (automatic vertical centering of a text block of arbitrary length) certainly looks like a hard problem. So, I am curious.

Basically this. If I wanted the epigraphs perfectly centered (vertically) on their own pages (if there are pages), this would happen in post-processing. The main advantage for me is that this structural information (“what is it supposed to represent”?) gets through.