Very small spellcheck suggestion

Come on now, L&L. It’s 2015. It’s time the UK English spellcheck dictionary learned the words “internet” and “online”. :stuck_out_tongue:

(I have added them myself, I just feel the default dictionary might need updating)

Isn’t it Internet (as opposed to ‘internet’)? There’s only one Internet; that makes it a unique entity, therefore it’s a proper noun and thus should be capitalized… Shouldn’t it?

Never mind online convention; you can’t trust that. :unamused:

In the UK, internet (lower-case i) is now commonly accepted/regarded as being the norm.

theguardian.com/guardian-obs … le-guide-i

telegraph.co.uk/topics/about … ok-Ii.html

bbc.co.uk/academy/journalism … 2112133573

Spelling changes. Phonograph (invented by Edison and subsequently a brand name), for instance, used to be spelt with an upper-case P, but these days the version with a lower-case p is normal.

There are multiple internets. There is the Internet, which is an internet of internets.

And along the lines of words the dictionary ought to know… Using the U.S. English dictionary (but the same is true of the U.K. and Canada versions), typing “Google” creates an autocorrect to “Goggle”; typing “GPS” corrects to “GPSS.” Of course, it’s easy to add both words. But I’m not even sure what GPSS is supposed to be. Wikipedia offers Government Pipelines and Storage System (UK) and General Purpose Simulation System, a programming language used mainly in industrial settings. I can’t imagine that either of these would come up all that often. Perhaps, if L&L prospers, it might be possible to license a 21st-century dictionary? :slight_smile:

We are looking at alternatives for the next major version.

Thanks, MM. Sorry if my request (even with the smiley) seemed sarcastic. It was friendly meant.

Actually, there aren’t multiples. ‘Internet’ is singular and there’s only one.

You’re thinking of either networks or intranets. But don’t feel bad; it’s a common mistake. :smiley:

Actually, no, there are in fact multiple internets, “internet” being shorthand once upon a time for “inter-networks”, or networks of networks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internetworking

Back in the days before the NSF opened up the Internet for commercial access, back when you had multiple organizations using multiple networking technologies, an internet was a collection of networks. The NSF was one such, as was BitNet (“Because It’s Time” net), so on and so forth. THE Internet (formerly Arpanet) was the “internet of internets” that allowed all of these specific internets to gateway to TCP/IP and connect with each other.

But don’t feel bad. It’s a common mistake.