Video killed the radio star

What is the future for journalism?

So OBL has been found and killed by US special forces. It’s one of the most newsworthy events in recent weeks. Still, the thing that interested me most about this story was how I - and a large proportion of others - found out. It had nothing to do with the press, but the info spread like wildfire via social networking sites like facebook. A man in Pakistan informed the world in real time of the events unfolding via Twitter (he was annoyed by the helicopters keeping him awake).

So what? Well, much has been said about the internet killing off the traditional media and press. Yet, as we enter a new era where news is spread and ‘self-edited’ by the general public, I think the role of the traditional media becomes clear. It’s not, as I had previously thought, providing opinion. I’d argue that the blogs are better placed to do that to their individual niche readerships. What was interesting was that when the news broke the first thing I did was to CONFIRM it. I didn’t do that by visitng a blog, but by turning on the TV and tuning into a major network news channel.

Newspapers may be relegated to entertainment instead of news - providing a few minutes worth of distracting material to commuters be letting them relive events and stories they are already aware of, but the organisations behind them via their online arms and TV networks will remain the go to place for confirmation. The ‘softer’ sources on the internet that are rumoured to be killing the press will only be a conduit of information and opinion. The role of the traditional press will be exactly what people think will kill it: to be slower. To hold off on reporting until things are confirmed. To be trusted.

In short, perhaps the internet will actually save the press from the descent into tabloid media comics with pages and pages of footballers’ girlfriends and drunken reality tv stars, and force a return to the best traditions of investigative journalism. You know, the type we watch in movies and read about in stories.

Think Jerry Springer meets National Enquirer meets hollywood meets high school football rally

Now that Cheryl Cole has upped stick for the States, journalism will whither and die. But! Then again, since she’ll be over there ‘n’ not over here, UK could experience a, ‘Journalistic Renascence’.

…[size=150]WOT SAY YOU MR HUGH? [/size]

UK? Maybe in the wedding section.

America still holds the standard for the odd, crazy, WTF how can that be kind of news.

UK? Soccer, Injuries at soccer events, and weddings with weird hats.

America? Things like Repo Games

and Lizard Lick are the shining stars of American Entertainment (Which includes “journalism”)